Default Welcoming the New Year Halifax style...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 06:17:00 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

At least that cove has a decent name!
Tim Tim is offline

Welcoming the New Year Halifax style...
8:17 AMTrue North
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

There’s a few motorcycle Facebook pages I subscribe to, and these blokes talking about their cold weather rides.

40 years ago I rode my Cb500 Honda while snow was sifting across the interstate. I was bundled well but when it’s 12 above, the wind chill is phenomenal! I did it once he polar bear clubs are about as bad as the cold weather Honda freaks!

Happy New Years, Don!

wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

===

That is just plain nucking futz.

---
http://www.avg.com

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 10:51:29 UTC-4, Tim wrote:
Welcoming the New Year Halifax style...
8:17 AMTrue North
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

There’s a few motorcycle Facebook pages I subscribe to, and these blokes talking about their cold weather rides.

40 years ago I rode my Cb500 Honda while snow was sifting across the interstate. I was bundled well but when it’s 12 above, the wind chill is phenomenal! I did it once he polar bear clubs are about as bad as the cold weather Honda freaks!

Happy New Years, Don!

Same to you Tim.
Actually, that local Polar Bear Swim idea was hatched by a group of regulars at the YMCA Weight Room way back when we all went there. I was too sensible to sign on!
A more historic and dignified tradition is the New Years Day Levees at various organizations..started by the French around 400 years ago. The big one is held at the Government House where you get to meet the Lt Governor and his wife and then munch and drink at his expense. Another popular one was in the Naval Dockyard where a rum flavoured drink called Moose Milk? was served. Haven't heard if this one is still operating. The weather was very cold yesterday but usually there are line-ups to get into the various levees around town..such as City Hall, St Mary's Glebe House, the Resolute Club etc.

wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

===

That is just plain nucking futz.

---
http://www.avg.com

I agree..swam off that wharf once in early May after buying my Virgin Island buddy's old dive suit and nearly froze then. In a lot of these 'swims' the participants run in up to their knees and turn around running out squealing like a bunch of schoolgirls. That wharf is probably 8-10feet high depending on the tide and the water has to be 15 to 20 feet deep. You sink or swim, no matter what the water feels like.

On 1/2/18 10:57 AM, True North wrote:
[...]

When I was a wee babe, my mom would take me to visit grandparents in
Massachusetts. If it was summer, we'd visit the beach at least once
during the stay. My mom had photos of me splashing around in the water.
When I was older and visiting grandparents up there, we'd go to the
beach, too, but by then I thought the water was just too damned cold for
swimming, and this was in July or August. As an adult, I visited a union
training camp held on an island just off the Maine coast. Couple of the
guys went swimming and I thought I would join them. Yikes! I got
knee-deep, got splashed, and got the hell out of the water. We have
"polar bear" swims around here, too. Gotta be nuts, or not care if yours
freeze off!

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:48:55 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

[...]

That is about like the California beaches or Lake Michigan.
The hottest it ever gets up around Traverse City where my daughter
lives is 68-69 in August.

On 1/2/2018 10:57 AM, True North wrote:

Actually, that local Polar Bear Swim idea was hatched by a group of regulars at the YMCA Weight Room way back when we all went there. I was too sensible to sign on!

Not a girly man event eh?
Happy new year

Make America great again. Yes we can.

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 13:35:02 UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Traverse City??
Don't suppose she knows the two Laguana? boys doing all the digging on our Oak Island. I think the younger guy, Marty, may have something to do with a vineyard.

For the guy in Halifax HenryK[_2_] General 0 March 5th 11 05:23 PM
Don from Halifax NS Ziggy®[_4_] General 18 January 18th 11 02:11 PM
Halifax Goes Dry basskisser General 40 April 8th 05 04:39 PM
More Halifax Storm Pic's sv \Sensoria\ ASA 1 October 1st 03 05:10 PM
Lights are out in Halifax: Martin Baxter ASA 2 September 29th 03 03:36 PM