Default Not so merry

Our dog, Kiya, the English Pointer, has eaten nothing for the past five days. Three days ago I took
her to the vet for lack of appetite, lethargy, and shivering. Her temp was 104.3, not exceedingly
high, but high. Her blood tests showed a higher than normal white cell count indicating an
infection. They prescribed antibiotics and pain medication. The next day her temp was 105.2,
seriously high. My vet said they could do no more, take her to emergency hospital. They kept her
overnight, did ultrasound and other tests, but could not find the problem. She still wouldn't eat.
That was day five without eating. But, her temp was down to 102. Good sign. They could find nothing
with their tests. Total spent - right at $2000 for vet tests which showed nothing.

We brought her home. She wouldn't eat anything...dry food, wet food, chicken, cat food...nothing.
She drinks a lot of water though. Last night was up and down with her. Drinking water and going out
to pee. Don't know what to do today. Will give her the antibiotics and pain pills and hope.

Tough.

On Monday, 25 December 2017 09:18:18 UTC-4, John H wrote:
[...]

Sad to hear. This area was really hit with Leptospirosis sp? this fall. Our vet said half the dogs admitted for this disease died. We've heard of at least 4 dogs in our neighbourhood come down with it and one died.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/generalized-conditions/leptospirosis/leptospirosis-in-dogs?network=o&matchtype=b&keyword=%2Blepto%20%2Bd og&creative={creative}&device=c&devicemodel={devic emodel}&placement={placement}&position={adposition }&campaignid=301084445&adgroupid=1279831602144242& loc_physical_ms=5154&loc_interest_ms=&utm_source=b ing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Generalized_Condit ions_Professional_Bing_BMM_US&utm_term=%2Blepto%20 %2Bdog&utm_content=Dog%20-%20Leptospirosis

Didn't hear much about the disease before this. Another problem is Lyme disease. We didn't even have ticks in most of the province until a few years ago. We avoided visiting my sister down in the South West part in the spring in order to protect our Springer Spaniel. Seems global warming is bringing a lot of crap north.
Anyway this year was hard on our eleven and a half year old Springer...spent about $3K on hospitalization meds etc and vets still don't know for sure why he had bi-weekly attacks of no eating, diarrhea and no eating. Now that he's on a permanent routine of antibiotics and pro-biotics his symptoms are less severe and last a day. Hope your guy recovers.

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

You're full of cheer today.
Let's hope John's puppy is recovering from food poisoning or some
such. We're waiting for some, hopefully, good news.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 08:18:18 -0500, John H
wrote:

[...]

I am holding out hope this will blow over. The temperature coming down
is usually a good thing. Could she have just eaten something strange?
Was that ultrasound looking for foreign objects?
How old is she?

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 10:19:38 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Don. I appreciate it. She is showing a lot of the same symptoms as Addisons Disease, but a
confirmation takes a couple weeks.

We've started feeding her a chicken/rice gruel with a syringe. Every hour she's getting a couple
tablespoonfuls. We'll see how it goes. I'm also making her some beef bone broth. She's drinking lots
of water, and I'm going to start subbing the broth in her water bowl. We really didn't think she'd
make it through last night. Temp today was 104, so it's gone up a bit since yesterday afternoon.

Keeping fingers crossed!

wrote:

[...]

She's eight. The ultrasound didn't show anything, and it was an abdominal. I suppose she could have
eaten something strange, but the other dog isn't affected. They've both been only in the back yard.

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 14:10:38 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

There isn't much to be cheerful about. Hopefully she'll recover.

John H wrote:
[...]

That's rough, John. No one can say your aren't giving her the best care.

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 19:30:19 -0500, Alex wrote:

John H wrote:
[...]

She's ending her seventh day without voluntarily eating. We've been feeding her a 'gruel' of
chicken, rice and broth, blended and fed to her with a syringe. She's still here, and seems a bit
more alive than two days ago. We just keep hoping that soon she'll eat on her own. We've tried the
gamut of foods wet and dry dog food, cat food, human food, even a chunk of prime rib. She just acts
like she's averse to food. She still drinks lots of water, though, and that's good. If that stops
we'll call the vet.

John H wrote:
[...]

What is coming out the other end.

Merry Christmas All !! Poco Loco General 71 December 28th 13 01:33 PM
Merry Christmas Mike[_7_] ASA 9 December 28th 07 01:16 AM
Merry Christmas John W. Bienko ASA 0 December 24th 07 09:06 PM
Merry Christmas John W. Bienko ASA 0 December 25th 06 01:51 PM