Default new boats

John H wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:27:09 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 9/21/17 8:02 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/21/2017 7:56 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 9/21/17 7:52 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/21/2017 2:24 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:10 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 12:16:24 UTC-3,
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:35:40 -0400, John H
wrote:

I am not sure why customs would care. If you were visiting you
could
bring a boat and if Don tried to register it up there they would
get
the taxes then. (same as here)
Do those damn things need to be registered?
I see canoes down here with Canadian numbers on them. Maybe it is
just
if you ever want to hang a motor on one tho.
Who would want to put a 10hp or greater outboard on a canoe?
Dunno, I have just seen them with numbers. I assumed it was *any*
motor. That is true here. I had to put numbers on my jon boat and I
only had a 7.5 on it.

Same here in MA. Any size motor, even an electric trolling motor, on
a boat or canoe requires it to be registered and display numbers.

I think years ago anything under 10 hp was exempt (Thus the
popularity of 9.9 hp outboards) but then governor Michael Dukakis
realized how much revenue they were losing and pushed the MA
legislature to change the laws.
Another reason for the "under 10 hp" popularity, at least in
Connecticut, back in the day, a 10 hp outboard was the max allowed on
some small lakes. Mercury Outboards, naturally, came up with a 10 hp
outboard that was closer to 20 hp, but it was labeled 10 hp and was
lake acceptable. That same outboard was used to power small racing
hydroplanes and "utility" boats.
Many of the smaller lakes and ponds still have that hp restriction. I
remember reading that many of the 9.9hp outboards (I always think of Ted
Williams and the Sears outboards of the day) only required a change of
the jets in the carburetor to produce 15 or more hp.

As a kid I had the most fun on a 12 foot aluminum boat from Sears and a
5hp Johnson outboard. I made a tiller extension so I could drive from
the middle seat because that's what made it go the fastest.

I remember Ted from the big New England sports/boat shows in Boston.
Sears had him set up at a big indoor pool set up so he could demonstrate
casting and flyfishing and, of course, plug their lines of fishing gear.

Speaking of Boston, do you have any memory of the National Shawmut Bank,
with the native American spokesperson? Active advertiser on TV. My dad
did his floorplanning with them for at least a decade. A couple of days
after we buried my dad, I was at the boat store with our family lawyer
and accountant when the representative from Shawmut showed up. He wanted
to close the floorplan and collect close to a million dollars for the
boats and outboards in the showroom and storage building. My dad's
lawyer, the son of old family friends, told the bankster he had until
the weekend to send his trucks to pick up the boats and outboards, and
after that he was going to charge the bank $1000 a day rent for storage.
The bankster left, and a few days later, the lawyer got a letter from
the bank offering us six months with no bank interest to sell off the
merchandise. I "hired" our accountant, another old family friend, to
supervise the sales of everything in the store, and he did it, in about
three months. After that, the three of us, lawyer, accountant, and DC
advertising guy, set up an entity to knock down the boat store, rebuild
a strip mall, and rent out individual stores.

The sad thing is, the three of us had been urging my dad to do the same
thing for several years. He had health issues and didn't need the
aggravation of running a retail operation. We were trying to get him to
retire, sell out, and move to a nice, easy retirement in Florida with my
mom. His partners in the separate marina operation in Milford made an
offer to buy out his shares within a month after his death. My mom ended
up moving to Florida and had a nice retirement for the 25 years left on
her ticker.

Gosh. Why didn't you just buy that Maryland Red Barn with all your money rather than lie about it?

Or the Ducati?

Or the twin-engine trawler?

wrote:

I am not sure why customs would care. If you were visiting you
could
bring a boat and if Don tried to register it up there they
would get
the taxes then. (same as here)

Do those damn things need to be registered?

I see canoes down here with Canadian numbers on them. Maybe it is
just
if you ever want to hang a motor on one tho.

Who would want to put a 10hp or greater outboard on a canoe?
Dunno, I have just seen them with numbers. I assumed it was *any*
motor. That is true here. I had to put numbers on my jon boat and I
only had a 7.5 on it.

Same here in MA.Â* Any size motor, even an electric trolling motor,
on a boat or canoe requires it to be registered and display numbers.

I think years ago anything under 10 hp was exempt (Thus the
popularity of 9.9 hp outboards)Â* but then governor Michael Dukakis
realized how much revenue they were losing and pushed the MA
legislature to change the laws.

Another reason for the "under 10 hp" popularity, at least in
Connecticut, back in the day, a 10 hp outboard was the max allowed on
some small lakes. Mercury Outboards, naturally, came up with a 10 hp
outboard that was closer to 20 hp, but it was labeled 10 hp and was
lake acceptable.Â* That same outboard was used to power small
racing hydroplanes and "utility" boats.

Many of the smaller lakes and ponds still have that hp restriction.Â* I
remember reading that many of the 9.9hp outboards (I always think of
Ted Williams and the Sears outboards of the day)Â* only required a
change of the jets in the carburetor to produce 15 or more hp.

As a kid I had the most fun on a 12 foot aluminum boat from Sears and
a 5hp Johnson outboard.Â* I made a tiller extension so I could drive
from the middle seat because that's what made it go the fastest.

As a kid, I learned to water ski behind a 9.9HP.Â* I was a few pounds
lighter then.

Yup. I was able to get a friend (lightweight girl) up using the 12 foot
aluminum boat with the 5 horse Johnson. She plowed a lot, but was
technically skiing.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We were high performance. 30 hp on a 14' wooden boat. I actually learned
to ski behind a Cadillac powered ski boat. My dad's good buddy ran a boat
shop and raced boats.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

[...]

As a kid, I learned to water ski behind a 9.9HP. I was a few pounds
lighter then.

Yup. I was able to get a friend (lightweight girl) up using the 12
foot aluminum boat with the 5 horse Johnson. She plowed a lot, but
was technically skiing.

Same thing and I was able to drop a ski and slalom behind that little
motor. I never learned how to slalom from the shore or deep water but I
didn't have many opportunities to try it.