BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yo Bill...to take the heat off (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/176039-yo-bill-take-heat-off.html)

True North[_2_] September 19th 17 02:19 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Monday, 18 September 2017 17:47:28 UTC-3, justan wrote:
True North Wrote in message:
On Monday, 18 September 2017 16:07:14 UTC-3, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 9/18/17 2:29 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

I remember the time I spent in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one week. Really,
really, really cold. And I saw crews shoveling snow off the roofs of
houses. Was told the home insurance companies paid for those crews
because it was a lot cheaper than replacing roofs that collapsed from
the 4' or more of snow load on them.

There was four to five feet of snow on the ground, too, so I guess if
the guys on the roofs fell off, they're be more likely to suffocate in a
snow bank than get seriously injured in a fall. :)

Amazingly, one night I was there when it snowed at least a foot, and the
next morning, early, the union rep from the local arrived on time to
pick me up. The streets had already been cleared. The snowbanks along
the curbs were huge.

I drove a rental to Thunder Bay once. Did what I had to do, and
got out. Kanada in the winter is for the birds.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

As I've said many times, Justine...it's no country for girliemen!

Yet Donella won't leave. I have a few friends whose Scottish
ancesters come to America via Nova Skosha. Would you call them
girly men?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

No silly, I'm calling y'all a girlieman.

justan September 19th 17 02:59 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

They were smart not to stay. You, not so much. What do you expect
from a weakling who needs a power assist tongue wheel to push his
little 14' aluminum boat around his little 4000 sf house
lot.
In summation, who cares what a bowlegged, girlish, dumb, beer
swilling weakling from crime city Kanada has to say.

PS: Good luck with your house painting. We'll be watching, via
maps, how the job progresses over the next several
years.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John H[_2_] September 19th 17 03:20 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:47:25 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 9/18/2017 3:14 PM, John H wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:29:22 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

I'll bet it's not vertigo. Most likely it's illyngophobia. I'll let you look it up. I realized I
sufferred from same when I took a motorcycle ride in the French Alps when I was about 63. It also
kicks in in places like the Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, anywhere there is a drop...including the high
part of my roof. I'm OK if I get on my butt and inch my way to the edge.

Sounds like what I experience. One of the Florida houses had a two
story high main living room with an overhead fan mounted from the
ceiling. The blades where dirty and I borrowed my neighbor's super high
step ladder figuring I'd climb up an clean them. When I got to where I
could reach the fan blades an overwhelming feeling of dizziness and
nauseousness overcame me and I had to clutch the ladder and close my
eyes otherwise I felt I would pass out and fall. It has happened on
ladders of lesser height as well, even last year when cleaning the
gutters and I was only 3/4 of the way up on a 12 foot stepladder.

It's weird because I've flown small airplanes and even a helicopter with
a big, 360 degree view bubble for a windshield. Never bothers me, even
practicing stalls and having the airplane start to fall out of the sky.
But a 12 foot ladder? No freakin' way.

Likewise. I'm bothered by what would happen if I *did* pass out. If in an airplane or surrounded by
a fence, then there's no fear. Strange.

John H[_2_] September 19th 17 03:23 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 01:07:20 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:29:44 -0400, John H
wrote:

I did that in the pool once and it took a year to get over it

Did you bust the heel bone (calcaneus)? The ER doc said surgery with screws and plates. I'm hoping
she was exaggerating. But, the more I read about it, the less I like it!

I was afraid that was what it was but it was just a severely smashed
planar tendon. They talked about doing a lot of stuff but I just wore
cross trainers for about a year instead of my boat shoes and it got
better. I still get a twinge now and then but I am basically OK.

In this case there's no doubt the bone is broke in a few places. But it's not dislocated, so maybe
screws won't be necessary. I'll know a lot more this afternoon when the Doc has looked at the
X-rays.

justan September 19th 17 03:27 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

wrote:

I did that in the pool once and it took a year to get over it

Did you bust the heel bone (calcaneus)? The ER doc said surgery with screws and plates. I'm hoping
she was exaggerating. But, the more I read about it, the less I like it!

I was afraid that was what it was but it was just a severely smashed
planar tendon. They talked about doing a lot of stuff but I just wore
cross trainers for about a year instead of my boat shoes and it got
better. I still get a twinge now and then but I am basically OK.

In this case there's no doubt the bone is broke in a few places. But it's not dislocated, so maybe
screws won't be necessary. I'll know a lot more this afternoon when the Doc has looked at the
X-rays.

Hopefully all you will need as a cast so the bones can mend by
themselves. Good luck.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

True North[_2_] September 19th 17 03:32 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

You are an amusing little girl, Justine.
The Yukon 15 was 2 boats ago. I've had the Legend 16 Xcalibur and now the Bayliner BR 17 since then.
I've got the staging set up on the west side of my house now as we speak and will be getting back at it as soon as things dry up on Thursday.

justan September 19th 17 03:50 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

Now you are definately going to need that power wheel.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

justan September 19th 17 03:51 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

The west side? Is that the side that looks toward the mainland?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

True North[_2_] September 19th 17 05:23 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

We are the mainland....although we are on a peninsula (old original city) attached to a bigger peninsula (Chebucto) which is itself attached to a really big peninsula (Nova Scotia).
Get it?

justan September 19th 17 05:34 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

Details. Skosha looks like an island until you zoom in really
close and see a tiny wisp of land tying it to New Brunswick.
What is there, 1 road tying Skosha to the mainland?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/