BoatBanter.com

-   -   IRC Rating question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/17599-irc-rating-question.html)

SaltWaterJunkie June 23rd 04 06:14 PM

IRC Rating question

We are preparing our IRC application. Now I have the option to choose the
"comfort" level of our boat. I would like to know what the distinctions are
between the various levels, in order to know which one is most optimal for
us. Who has some insight into this?

For those wondering why we care... The comfort level is used to apply a
cruising credit to boats. Therefor, the more comfortable the boat, the lower
the IRC rating. However, if we will not comply to the requirements of a
comfortable class we will not bring stuff like TV, heater etc. which we are
not using during racing anyway.

Best regards,

Harald

Stefan June 27th 04 06:44 PM

IRC Rating question

In article ,
says...
We are preparing our IRC application. Now I have the option to choose the
"comfort" level of our boat. I would like to know what the distinctions are
between the various levels, in order to know which one is most optimal for
us. Who has some insight into this?

For those wondering why we care... The comfort level is used to apply a
cruising credit to boats. Therefor, the more comfortable the boat, the lower
the IRC rating. However, if we will not comply to the requirements of a
comfortable class we will not bring stuff like TV, heater etc. which we are
not using during racing anyway.

The levels of accomodation are defined on the application form

Completely stripped out - Spartan (eg. Modern IRM/IMS) - Stripped ends,
spartan (pipecots) -Stripped
ends, comfortable (cushions, furniture, table, etc) - Modern &
comfortable (lightweight) - Modern and
comfortable (substantial, fully fitted out) - Old and very comfortable
(traditional fitout) - Other :.

There are no more detailed definitions. I can tell you as a UK sailor
who has been racing under IRC for years that competitive IRC boats are
at the stripped out/spartan end. The difference between modern
(lightweight) and modern (comfortable) is not going to make a huge
difference to your rating and people don't load up race boats with
cruising gear to improve their IRC rating.