Default Wow!

Just saw that Hurricane Irma is producing wind gusts of 225 mph. That's
incredible.

Hoping those in Florida have no serious damage or more importantly
injuries. There's a little bit of encouragement that forecasters think
it will lose a little of it's punch by the time it hits although it
could still be a strong Cat 3 or a Cat 4. Getting wacked with a Cat 5
could be devastating.

If it goes straight up through Florida it seems the worst would be on
the eastern coast, being in the strongest quandrant.

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 11:01:59 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Just saw that Hurricane Irma is producing wind gusts of 225 mph. That's
incredible.

Hoping those in Florida have no serious damage or more importantly
injuries. There's a little bit of encouragement that forecasters think
it will lose a little of it's punch by the time it hits although it
could still be a strong Cat 3 or a Cat 4. Getting wacked with a Cat 5
could be devastating.

If it goes straight up through Florida it seems the worst would be on
the eastern coast, being in the strongest quandrant.

The plots are pushing east and if that is true the east coast will get
the worst of it. The outer bands can still be pretty exciting. It is
not unusual to see tornadoes or very strong gusts. If the radar is
still working it is interesting to watch. You watch the stuff coming,
there it is. Then the sun comes out for a few minutes before another
band comes by.

It does look like Charleston better be battening down the hatches.
It may only be a Cat 3 by the time it gets there but that can still be
pretty exciting.

wrote:

[...]

My BIL and his wife just retired last year to a house down on James Island. They haven't been through a hurricane yet. They are across the street from a tidal creek. I'd guess a bad enough storm surge could get them wet.

wrote:

[...]

We looked at some properties on James Island last year. It's a big
equestrian area so naturally Mrs.E. was drawn to it for that and because
it's not far from my son who happens to have the most grandkids,
(including 5 year old twins). Still not out of the question according
to her.

wrote:

[...]

Looks like a nice place except when the hurricane comes.

wrote:

[...]

No place is nice when a hurricane comes.

Tim Tim is offline

Mr. Luddite
We looked at some properties on James Island last year. It's a big
equestrian area so naturally Mrs.E. was drawn to it for that and because
it's not far from my son who happens to have the most grandkids,
(including 5 year old twins). Still not out of the question according
to her.

Not sure what town but I believe Tom Francis lives on the shore of Lake Murray. Hope they fare ok...

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 2:23:36 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
We looked at some properties on James Island last year. It's a big
equestrian area so naturally Mrs.E. was drawn to it for that and because
it's not far from my son who happens to have the most grandkids,
(including 5 year old twins). Still not out of the question according
to her.

Not sure what town but I believe Tom Francis lives on the shore of Lake Murray. Hope they fare ok...

He's about 5 miles from me. We're roughly in the middle of the state just outside of Columbia. When Hugo came through we had wind and rain, but no damage here. A severe thunderstorm a couple of weeks earlier had taken down any weak tree limbs. You had to drive 30-45 minutes to start seeing any broken pine trees.

Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
We looked at some properties on James Island last year. It's a big
equestrian area so naturally Mrs.E. was drawn to it for that and because
it's not far from my son who happens to have the most grandkids,
(including 5 year old twins). Still not out of the question according
to her.

Not sure what town but I believe Tom Francis lives on the shore of Lake
Murray. Hope they fare ok...

Wonder at times how Tom is.