Default New Computer

On 7/20/2017 7:29 AM, John H wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 07:01:40 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 7/20/2017 5:09 AM, John H wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 19:33:14 -0400, Alex wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:

In the process of setting up a new computer. Using the old laptop in
the meantime. I forgot what a pain in the ass it is to update, set
all your preferences, etc. Right now it's updating Win 10 and has
been at it for a while.

Got an HP "all in one". 27" screen for my aging eyes, Pentium I-7, and
I forget all the rest. Hopefully I'll get all my passwords, etc.,
transferred before the old, 9 year old laptop gives up the ghost.

I was a little nervous about making the transition from Win 7 to Win
10 so I spent almost an hour at the store playing with it. Not as bad
as I feared. I was concerned because I remember playing with a
computer that had Win 8 on it and it was horrible.

---
http://www.avg.com

The the monitor dies on and all-in-one, can you hook up an external
monitor to move your data from it?

Thank God for Google (and Al Gore, of course):

But don't worry, you can output video through the USB ports on your HP all-in-one desktop! ...
Connect your computer to the USB to Video Adapter with your USB cable. Connect an HDMI, DVI-D or DVI
to VGA cable from the USB to Video Adapter to your second monitor.
HP All-In-One Desktop Secondary Monitor Setup - DataPro
https://www.datapro.net/techinfo/hp_...d_monitor.html

Hope it helps.

If the monitor ever dies I'll just try hooking up another monitor or
even a flat panel TV via the HDMI connection. Hopefully it will still work.

That's how I've been using my HP laptop for years. I have a 23 inch
flat panel LED TV on a shelf just above my desk hooked up to it via
HDMI. The laptop display is turned off. Works great.

I suppose if the video driver or electronics craps out it probably won't
work. But, I've yet to have a display die. Usually it's the hard drive.

I think the new one is up and running ok although I have one minor
problem logging into my Yahoo account using the new Microsoft browser in
Win 10. It won't accept my password and keeps going to a goofy "I am
not a robot" routine. I downloaded and installed Firefox on it and it
works just fine, accepting the password and logging me into the Yahoo
account. I'll figure it out eventually. This is the first time in 9
years that I've gone through the commissioning process of a new
computer, except for the time I had the I-Mac for a while. Win 10 has
certainly made the process much easier.

If what I read is true, the HDMI connection is for input to the computer, not output. Maybe yours is
different. I use Firefox for everything except getting tee times for the seniors group. It's done by
spreadsheet which works only with Google Chrome.

Some privacy stuff you may want to consider:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29717...-by-piece.html

Thanks for the privacy link. I'll check it out.

The HDMI connection on a computer definitely outputs both video and
audio to a HDMI input on a TV. Been using it like that for years. I
can output the video and audio from my little laptop to my 65 inch flat
screen TV. :-)

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

Whoops, forgot the site:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29497...assistant.html

Yeah, I already disabled Cortana, at least for now.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

Good. Then what I read on an HP site must have been old news.

"Why can't I use the HDMI port on my HP Envy all-in-one desktop?

The HDMI port on some models of HP all-in-one desktops is for input only. This is handy for when you
want to use your desktop as a display for another device such as a video game console or DVD
player."

I missed the word 'some'.

wrote:
The HDMI connection on a computer definitely outputs both video and
audio to a HDMI input on a TV. Been using it like that for years. I
can output the video and audio from my little laptop to my 65 inch flat
screen TV. :-)

An HDMI input pretty much implies that you have a video capture card
but the DRM hardware in the HDMI adapter makes it pretty useless Most
things that have HDMI out will not talk to them (cable/sat boxes etc).
If you can find an old version of the firmware before they started
enabling the DRM it will work.
BTDT

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

I got curious about the HDMI and you are correct. On some models the
HDMI is an "input". On others it's an "output". The HDMI on the one I
bought (HP All in One, Model 27-A210) is listed as an "output" in the
spec sheets. I haven't tried it yet to confirm though. Some specs also
say it doesn't have a CD/DVD player or burner, yet the one I have does.
Anyway, so far I like it a lot. It's much faster than this laptop that
I've been using for the last nine years. It's also quiet, much like an
I-Mac. No fan noise, again unlike this laptop.

If your computer's OS... F*O*A*D General 18 April 4th 14 01:07 PM
New computer bug! Tim General 1 April 23rd 09 02:41 PM
computer or not? Parallax Cruising 18 December 6th 04 11:37 AM
Computer dry-bag? Trevor Miller General 3 May 22nd 04 05:54 AM
DC computer tstefanski^^@ameritech.net Electronics 0 August 27th 03 12:09 AM