BW

Default what the THRILL with racing?

I was searching through some past articles trying to answer the above
question and came across someone who wrote this:

"Part of racing's thrill is the danger. I believe, though, that
wearing a life vest doesn't reduce the thrill any more than wearing a
seat belt kills the thrill of driving a race car 200 mph."

What things have thrilled you about powerboats? Speed, motion, spray
in your face, winning, owning a boat, drinks and parties afterwards…

I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your
powerboat related thrills. I'm currently conducting interviews with
people about their personal experiences on the web-site
www.chromo11.com

If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site
and take an interview. You'll find a set of short, but carefully
crafted questions that you can download and answer at your leisure;
you'll also be able to read more about the project.

Thanks

Brendan
email: thrill@chromo11[dot]com
web: www.chromo11.com
Walt

BW wrote:

What things have thrilled you about powerboats? Speed, motion, spray
in your face, winning, owning a boat, drinks and parties afterwards…

I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your
powerboat related thrills. I'm currently conducting interviews with
people about their personal experiences...

rec.boats.racing.power is down the hall. You might want to ask there.

--
//-Walt
//
Gus Bringard

Waaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyyyy!

Time for your bitch-slappin'

This n.g. IS for racing.

Take YOUR sale-bottin ass somewhere else.

"Walt" wrote in message
BW wrote:

What things have thrilled you about powerboats? Speed, motion, spray
in your face, winning, owning a boat, drinks and parties afterwards.

I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your
powerboat related thrills. I'm currently conducting interviews with
people about their personal experiences...

rec.boats.racing.power is down the hall. You might want to ask there.

--
//-Walt
//
//

BW

I'm not selling anything, just curious about what thrills people about
the things they do. I'm a researcher at the Royal Colege of Art in
England funded by an arts grant. When I work out how to engineer
thrill and bottle it - then I'll be rich! It's an interesting jouney,
finding that people who knit, or play chess are thrilled just as much
as F1 racing drivers.

Thanks for your comments. I do try and make an effort to revisit
conversations I started.

If you forget (please) that I clumsily stumbled into your group (I do
try and read the groups history to understand where you're coming
from). The question still stands, "what thrills you"

Don't bother visiting my site. I'm posting the interview right now, so
you can see that I'm just interested in your stories.

Thanks

Brendan Walker
+44 (0)20 8539 5837

++++++++++++ INTERVIEW FOLLOWS HERE +++++++++++++++
Hello again,

Thanks for agreeing to be interviewed. Answer as many questions as you
can (the more the better) then email your interview to me at
. If there's anything else you want to say just
add a note at the bottom of the email.

You're obviously sat at your computer, so we'll make a start...

ABOUT YOU
==========

Just to get the record straight, could please tell me your name, age,
sex and where you were born (I'll only publish your surname and
birthplace unless otherwise instructed)
name:
age:
sex:
birthplace:

YOUR BACKGROUND
==================

1.Q Tell me about the first time you remember being thrilled.
1.A

2.Q Which of your thrilling experiences has frightened you the most?
2.A

3.Q What's the smallest or slightest thing to have thrilled you?
3.A

4.Q Tell me why you're not a sensible person.
4.A

5.Q What were you doing the last time you were really bored?
5.A

6.Q What's the most uninhibited thing you've ever done?
6.A

7.Q What things have you considered doing for thrill, but were too
concerned about the risks?
7.A

8.Q I always dreamt about becoming a paramedic, speeding in an
ambulance and saving lives; what about you?
8.A

YOUR THRILL
============
To answer these next 15 questions, you should think about a particular
time you were thrilled.

9.Q Describe this thrill in a nutshell, in one sentence. (there's time
to expand later)
9.A

the setting...
----------------
10.Q Where and when did it take place?
10.A

11.Q Tell me a bit about yourself around this time.
11.A

preparation...
------------------
12.Q How did the moment arise? Was it planned?
12.A

your feelings...
--------------------
13.Q List the sequence of events leading up to your thrill, and how
you felt at each stage. The smallest detail could be important (this
is your chance to expand).
13.A

14.Q At the exact moment of thrill, how did your mind and body feel?
14.A

15.Q What thoughts were going through your head?
15.A

16.Q What did you do immediately afterwards?
16.A

the risks...
-------------
17.Q What were the most likely things that could have put you off
going through with it?
17.A

other people...
--------------------
18.Q How were other people important to your thrill?
18.A

19.Q What do you imagine other people were thinking throughout your
thrilling episode?
19.A

20.Q Some people probably don't understand how such a thing can thrill
you; explain it to them.
20.A

equipment...
-----------------
21.Q Why were certain objects or equipment important to your thrill?
21.A

repeat performance...
-----------------------------
22.Q If you've done something like this before, how does the last time
compare to the first time you did it?
22.A

23.Q If you did it again, what things would you add or change to make
it even better?
23.A

finally...
-----------
Thanks for doing the interview. I'll let you know when it's on the
chromo11.com website. Is there anything you want to add?
DSK

Gus Bringard wrote:

Waaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyyyy!

Time for your bitch-slappin'

This n.g. IS for racing.

Take YOUR sale-bottin ass somewhere else.

Excuse me, but considering that the discussions (as opposed to the spamming)
taking place in this newsgroup are about things like spinnakers, mark
roundings, IMS ratings, etc etc, then it would seem that this newsgroup is
about SAILBOAT racing.

Perhaps there is some new kind of motorboat racing that we don't know about?
Please tell us. Otherwise, shut up because you're a moron.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Inigo Montoya

"DSK" wrote in message
Gus Bringard wrote:

Waaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyyyy!

Time for your bitch-slappin'

This n.g. IS for racing.

Take YOUR sale-bottin ass somewhere else.

Excuse me, but considering that the discussions (as opposed to the

spamming)
taking place in this newsgroup are about things like spinnakers, mark
roundings, IMS ratings, etc etc, then it would seem that this newsgroup is
about SAILBOAT racing.

Perhaps there is some new kind of motorboat racing that we don't know

about?
Please tell us. Otherwise, shut up because you're a moron.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Dear Douggy,

Charter of this newsgroup is boat racing. Since there is no such thing as a
racing sailboat, you should look at: alt.sailing

Sticks, strings, and laundry do not a raceboat make...............

J Balk

"Inigo Montoya" wrote in message

"DSK" wrote in message
Gus Bringard wrote:

[...]

What was the last powerboat race around the world? I must have
missed that one.

Actually, the newgroup's charter seems to be about boat racing,
not sailboat racing specifically. Perhaps someone knows more.
OTOH, most of the talk here is about racing sailboats.

BW

I have been a little confused, but I now see where I made my mistake.
Whilst doing background research into the group rec.boats.racing it
included the sub group rec.boats.racing.power. Most of articles I read
were about the thrill of powerboat racing. I subsequently posted my
power boat query into rec.boats.racing which I now know is about sail
boat racing.

Again, please accept my apology.

But as my research is still about thrill, sailboat racing is JUST as
interesting. I am revising my question to "what do you find thrilling
about sailboat racing"?

Any comments...

Brendan