Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Yawl vs. Ketch Rig ???

On Monday, November 20, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Robert Harris wrote:
This may not be the gospel. I understand the yawl was originall invented
to get around, or gain advantage of racing rules. I have owned a yawl
(Westsail 43) and found it very advantageous for the following reasons:
I could set a mizzen staysail, and it always added a knot in any reaching
conditions (normal wind conditions). It was a great way to set a
steadying sail in windy anchoring conditions, to prevent the boat from
'sailing' at anchor. In a real blow, I could set the staysail and mizzen,
dousing the jib and main, a get a very good balance. I could lean on
the mizzen mast when piloting the boat. I had an extra mast for antennae,
cockpit lighting, etc.

My understanding is that the true yawl is little more that a sloop (or
double headsail sloop) with a slightly shortened main boom. The
advantage of being able to put up that mizzen staysail is a big one. I
ended up with the yawl only because it was the best boat I found at the
time for my needs. I wanted a cutter, but as time passed I was really
glad I ended up with the yawl.
-
BOB HARRIS N6JUN
S/V Priority Won

Thank you for your post. Very informative. J

Yawl vs. Ketch Rig ??? [email protected] General 21 December 3rd 16 02:38 PM
The difference between a yawl and a ketch Bart ASA 10 September 22nd 07 09:59 PM
Yawl Thom Stewart ASA 1 August 19th 06 05:39 PM
i want info on Zeeland 37 Yawl nirvan Cruising 1 May 30th 06 12:52 AM
Proper flag protocol for Cat Yawl rig. Bruce Hallman Cruising 7 June 22nd 04 02:58 PM