Default Ball caps

This is an ex-Navy, old fart thing. I have a large collection of ball
caps ... mostly sports related or car related. I wanted to get a cap
representing each of the four Navy vessels that I was either assigned to
or spent any time at sea on during the 9 years I was on active duty.
Finally was able to get all four of them.

Left to right:

USS Pickerel (SS 524)

This sub was built late in WWII but not commissioned until 1949. It was
featured in the 1950's TV series, "Silent Service". At the beginning of
the show it could be seen breaching the surface at a steep angle in an
emergency assent. I only spent one day aboard it but made two dives and
a similar emergency assent. Was awarded "honorary" submariner
certificate and dolphins by the Captain. Great experience. Here's a
link to the old "Silent Service" show:

USS Lester (DE 1022) and USS Van Voorhis (DE 1028)

Most of my sea time was aboard these two destroyer escorts, a total of
about 2 and a half years. Logged lots of nautical miles under their
hulls while on them.

USS Surprise (PG 97)

Spent about two months (TAD duty) on this small patrol gunboat. This
class of Navy gunboats were originally designed for Vietnam coastal
patrols and was the newest of the vessels I was on, being commissioned
in 1969. It had two diesels for operating at slow speeds (14 kts) and a
gas turbine for high speed (over 40 kts).

Anyway, here are the hats:

https://tinyurl.com/knkbj2x

and here's a link to a YouTube video of the old "Silent Service" show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1nESHgqAnY

On Thu, 4 May 2017 16:38:43 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Cool hats. Meaningfull too. "Silent Service" was one of my favorites as a kid.

On 5/4/2017 6:18 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

Me too. I was pretty young when that series ran but the film of the sub
breaking the surface stuck in my mind. Never thought that someday I'd
be actually be on the same submarine as it made a similar emergency
assent, all in an attempt to scare the crap out of me and a couple of
other surface types.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Had a friend who passed away a few years ago. Served on Subs in WW2. Was
6' plus tall, so that must have been something in those old subs. One of
the few Americans to captain a Japanese sub. End of war, the took over a
surrendered Japanese sub out in the middle of the ocean. He and 2 other
guys took over the sub to drive it to Sea of Japan. Interesting tidbit.
He said early on they had a huge failure rate on torpedoes.

On Thu, 4 May 2017 21:25:29 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Watched the movie, "USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage" last night. Good movie. Heart wrenching.

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=ind...76&jbp=0&jbr=0

On 5/5/2017 7:29 AM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

Bill O'Reilly covers the USS Indianapolis in detail in "Killing the
Rising Sun". I thought the book was a good historical account of what
led up to the war with Japan and the war itself but it also had a bit of
an O'Reilly flavor to it. It's written so an 8th grader could easily
read it, certainly not prose that Harry would appreciate much. It's not
on a par with Shakespeare. :-)
Tim Tim is offline

Bill O'Reilly covers the USS Indianapolis in detail in "Killing the
Rising Sun". I thought the book was a good historical account of what
led up to the war with Japan and the war itself but it also had a bit of
an O'Reilly flavor to it. It's written so an 8th grader could easily
read it, certainly not prose that Harry would appreciate much. It's not
on a par with Shakespeare. :-)

My first father in law survived the sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the aftermath thereof. No, he didn't ever say much about it.

He finished ( I believe) out his duty on the Fletcher class USS John Hood...

On Fri, 05 May 2017 07:29:38 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

Watched the movie, "USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage" last night. Good movie. Heart wrenching.

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=ind...76&jbp=0&jbr=0

"Sometime the shark go away, sometime the shark don't go away" - Quint

wrote:

[...]

===

Good stuff, thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

Ice Caps Melting Ted Bell ASA 1 January 23rd 07 10:28 PM
Baseball caps for sailing? Roger Long Cruising 25 September 18th 06 01:16 AM
they are fearing without the fog now, won't open caps later W. J. MacComb ASA 0 April 22nd 05 11:46 AM
are you rich, I mean, attacking through inner caps [email protected] ASA 0 April 8th 05 12:38 PM
she will fear bad caps, do you judge them Nelly ASA 0 April 8th 05 11:53 AM