Ken

Default Comprops?

Hey group,
My original equipment propeller for my 25 hp Johnson is beginning to show
wear and its that time that I should look into a replacement or spare prop.
Has anyone had any experience with Comprop (www.comprop.com) for small motor
applications? They advertise similar performance and durability of a typical
aluminum prop but with 4 blades. I like the idea of a four bladed propeller
for the low end performance. I'm not a speed freak but like to load the boat
to its maximum limit on occasion.

What is this groups opinions? I see they are relatively inexpensive in cost,
are they cheap? If not recommended, where near Crystal River, Ocala, or
Tampa or even on the internet is a discount prop resource?

Thanks for any assistance.

Halon

Tony Thomas

They are what they are. Cheap prop. For your application probably not a
bad idea. For any boat that is trying to get the most performance out of it
in terms of power/speed no way.

As for a good place to check for props, look at ebay. You can get some
deals now and then.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

Butch Ammon

Hey group,
My original equipment propeller for my 25 hp Johnson is beginning to show
wear and its that time that I should look into a replacement or spare prop.
Has anyone had any experience with Comprop (www.comprop.com) for small motor
applications? They advertise similar performance and durability of a typical
aluminum prop but with 4 blades. I like the idea of a four bladed propeller
for the low end performance. I'm not a speed freak but like to load the boat
to its maximum limit on occasion.

What is this groups opinions? I see they are relatively inexpensive in cost,
are they cheap? If not recommended, where near Crystal River, Ocala, or
Tampa or even on the internet is a discount prop resource?

Thanks for any assistance.

Halon

Hey there.... I was steered away from the Comprop by a few of the good people
here.

I have heard that the Comprop is a pretty good thing for a smaller outboard.
You loose a fraction of top end speed, but increase the "hole shot" a bit more.

For my purpose, it wouldn't quite work (even though Comprop says it would).....
I have a heavy old, 17' trihull with the rugged 165hp Mercruiser inline 6. If
I were to put on a Comprop, the torque of the outdrive and the sheer weight of
the boat, would probably snap a blade right off.

I hope this helps. With a 25hp Johnson, you'll be fine with a Comprop. If you
hit a rock or a log, the blade will fray and chip away, but will allow you to
get back home.

Butch Ammon
Murph_NH

Great spare prop, actually does a decent job. I have one myself as a spare.
But, it doesn't have the bite or the durability of 3 blade stainless steel
prop. I can also plane at lower speeds with the SS prop. Bottom line, keep
it as a lightweight emergency prop and get a good SS or aluminum prop for
primary use - which ever your buget allows for.

--
Murph

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've never been quarantined.
But the more I look around,
the more I think it might
not be a bad thing.
...George Carlin

Toys to help keep me somewhat outta trouble...

- 2003 Midnight Star in all her shining glory!
- 1998 Nissan Maxima SE - Black, cuz black is just faster!
- 1997 Glastron SX-175SF