BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ham and Barley Soup...for my friends (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/173898-ham-barley-soup-my-friends.html)

Poco Deplorevole March 30th 17 10:53 PM

Ham and Barley Soup...for my friends

This is good. Use meaty ham hocks if possible. I think some smoked turkey wings would work also. But
be sure and change the name.

Ham and Barley Soup

Ingredients

3 qts chicken broth (I used 3, but start with about 2 ½)
1-2 pounds smoked ham hocks and about a half pound of ham (ham steak)
4 medium red potatoes
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 large onion, chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
4 stalks chopped celery
1cup pearl barley, rinsed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Preparation

Bring broth and ham hocks to boil in large pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 60
minutes. Using tongs, remove ham hocks from soup. There's not much meat on ham hocks sold in the
grocery stores, but take off what little there is and put into the pot. Add diced potatoes, tomatoes
with juices, onion, carrots, celery, barley, and oregano. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low;
simmer uncovered until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Cut the ham steak into bite sized pieces
and add to the pot. Add green beans; simmer until beans are tender, about 15 minutes. Season soup to
taste with salt and pepper.

[email protected] March 31st 17 12:29 AM

Ham and Barley Soup...for my friends

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 17:53:16 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

[...]

I do something like that but I use beef. It is easy to use to much
barley. That stuff really puffs up.

Poco Deplorevole April 1st 17 12:32 PM

wrote:

[...]

I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

Tim April 1st 17 09:14 PM

Ham and Barley Soup...for my friends

6:32 AMPoco Deplorevole
I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

That'll be interesting.

Keyser Soze April 2nd 17 12:58 AM

Ham and Barley Soup...for my friends

On 4/1/17 4:14 PM, Tim wrote:

6:32 AMPoco Deplorevole
I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

That'll be interesting.

Exciting stuff, this. I can hardly wait for the French toast recipes.

Poco Deplorevole April 2nd 17 01:40 PM

Ham and Barley Soup...for my friends

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:58:27 PM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 4/1/17 4:14 PM, Tim wrote:

6:32 AMPoco Deplorevole
I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

That'll be interesting.

Exciting stuff, this. I can hardly wait for the French toast recipes.

Read the thread title.

This subject is surely as exciting as the anti-Trump drivel which makes you appear as a paranoid horse's ass.

Its Me April 2nd 17 11:49 PM

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 8:40:44 AM UTC-4, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:58:27 PM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 4/1/17 4:14 PM, Tim wrote:

6:32 AMPoco Deplorevole
I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

That'll be interesting.

Exciting stuff, this. I can hardly wait for the French toast recipes.

Read the thread title.

This subject is surely as exciting as the anti-Trump drivel which makes you appear as a paranoid horse's ass.

Hey! Don't be so hard on horse's asses. They are shining stars compared to harree.

Poco Deplorevole April 2nd 17 11:57 PM

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:49:41 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 8:40:44 AM UTC-4, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:58:27 PM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 4/1/17 4:14 PM, Tim wrote:

6:32 AMPoco Deplorevole
I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

That'll be interesting.

Exciting stuff, this. I can hardly wait for the French toast recipes.

Read the thread title.

This subject is surely as exciting as the anti-Trump drivel which makes you appear as a paranoid horse's ass.

Hey! Don't be so hard on horse's asses. They are shining stars compared to harree.

I s'pose.

Keyser Soze April 3rd 17 12:13 AM

On 4/2/17 6:57 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:49:41 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 8:40:44 AM UTC-4, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:58:27 PM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 4/1/17 4:14 PM, Tim wrote:

6:32 AMPoco Deplorevole
I usually end up with about four or more quarts of liquid. You're right. Barley sucks it up. Beef
and barley is the norm. The ham and barley is a switch. I'm going to try it with smoked turkey wings
next time.

That'll be interesting.

Exciting stuff, this. I can hardly wait for the French toast recipes.

Read the thread title.

This subject is surely as exciting as the anti-Trump drivel which makes you appear as a paranoid horse's ass.

Hey! Don't be so hard on horse's asses. They are shining stars compared to harree.

I s'pose.

JackOff and JohnnyMop, the handjob boys.

[email protected] April 3rd 17 06:24 AM

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 19:13:01 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

JackOff and JohnnyMop, the handjob boys.

He went to college to learn how to write like this.