Tim Tim is offline

Default How many HP does my 5.7 litre mercruiser comp. ski have?

On Tuesday, August 21, 2001 at 12:14:37 AM UTC-5, Gerome wrote:
I am puzzled. I thought I knew the power of my 5.7 litre mercruiser
competition ski inboard engine, when I came across different
publications stating anything from 215 to 270HP.
The engine is (as far as I know) a 1998. It has a 2 bbl carburettor.
Can anybody help me?
Also what makes a ski engine a ski engine?

Cheers
Marc Gerome

With the 2bbl, I don't know. The 305 4 bbl chevy in my 1977 23' Marquis is rated at 230.

BTW, idf their actually IS such a thing as a 'ski' engine, is probably the camshaft setting where you may have more torque at a lower rpm. That actually may be why the 2 bbl carb too. a two bbl carb has larger venturis than the front two of a 4 bbl. Which is only good at a wide open throttle (for the most part)

Tim wrote:
On Tuesday, August 21, 2001 at 12:14:37 AM UTC-5, Gerome wrote:
I am puzzled. I thought I knew the power of my 5.7 litre mercruiser
competition ski inboard engine, when I came across different
publications stating anything from 215 to 270HP.
The engine is (as far as I know) a 1998. It has a 2 bbl carburettor.
Can anybody help me?
Also what makes a ski engine a ski engine?

Cheers
Marc Gerome

With the 2bbl, I don't know. The 305 4 bbl chevy in my 1977 23' Marquis is rated at 230.

BTW, idf their actually IS such a thing as a 'ski' engine, is probably the camshaft setting where you may have more torque at a lower rpm. That actually may be why the 2 bbl carb too. a two bbl carb has larger venturis than the front two of a 4 bbl. Which is only good at a wide open throttle (for the most part)

That post is 15 years old. Gerome might be pushing us daisies by now.

On 3/18/2017 10:49 PM, Alex wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

I also am of the understanding that horsepower is measured differently
in marine applications as compared to how it's measured in a vehicle.

Tim wrote:
[...]

They used to let manufacturers use BHP (measured at the crank). Like
cars changed to being measured at the wheels (70s), it changed to
being measured at the prop in the late 80s.
At the time, the story was my 75 Yama/Merc put as much power to the
prop as the old Merc 100 "tower of power"