Default And how old do you want to live to?

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Mikek

---

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:20:08 -0600, amdx wrote:

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Mikek

===

Yes, good article, very thought provoking.

On 3/7/2017 6:46 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:20:08 -0600, amdx wrote:

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Mikek

===

Yes, good article, very thought provoking.

What caught me was how you slowly shrink your world, but you are
happy to do it.
Mikek

---

Senior Member

Location: Michigan

I would like to make 100.
__________________
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:20:08 -0600, amdx wrote:

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

It really all depends on your health. My grandfather was still very
active at 95 and lived to 99 and change.
I feel the same about me as I do Mr Ed. As long as we are still
enjoying life, go for it. If I am not happy or healthy, kill me.

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:20:08 -0600, amdx wrote:

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Mikek

---

When given the choice of when to start Social Security, I calculated the break even point between
reduced-early and full-later benefits to be about age 80. A big part of the rationale was that I
smoked (a lot) for almost 40 years. I figured if I made it past 80 I wouldn't mind the lower monthly
SS check, but I'd just pat myself on the back for each extra year.

Still feel that way.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 04:36:10 +0000, RGrew176 wrote:

I would like to make 100.

100 what? :)

Well, I surely hope you do!

I would too, but I wouldn't want the last dozen to be in a memory-disabled home.

On 3/8/2017 6:12 AM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:20:08 -0600, amdx wrote:

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Mikek

---

When given the choice of when to start Social Security, I calculated the break even point between
reduced-early and full-later benefits to be about age 80. A big part of the rationale was that I
smoked (a lot) for almost 40 years. I figured if I made it past 80 I wouldn't mind the lower monthly
SS check, but I'd just pat myself on the back for each extra year.

Still feel that way.

As far as breakeven point I've seen 84 years old referenced many times
as the age.
I just pulled this from a US News and World Report article,
"Depending on taxes, inflation, and investment returns, the range of
break-even ages goes from 81 to 86 1/2. There is a similar range of
break-even ages in the comparison of benefits begun at age 66 to age
70—from the age of 84 to nearly 87."
I'm mostly retired now at 61, but I expect to wait until 66 and 2
months, my full retirement age, before I collect.
I never smoked, both mom and dad did, my dad died at 74 with major
heart disease and my mother at 84 with COPD.
Mikek

---

amdx wrote:
[...]

When I collected SS, the break even age was about 74. So depending on
interest rates, and inflation break even changes. My mom made it a couple
weeks short of 96. She worked part time until 91. RN. So if able and
healthy, longevity is fine.

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 8:55:59 AM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
[...]

I didn't add in any income from investing the money.

I live, i live! X ` Man[_3_] General 3 December 17th 11 01:58 PM
How far do you live from.......... JimH General 25 April 27th 07 06:12 PM
Why live aboard sailors live longer. Ellen MacArthur ASA 5 December 16th 06 01:21 AM
Live by G&G ASA 3 March 6th 05 05:47 PM