Default Are K-cups evil for the environment?

I understand they are manna from heaven for yuppies but it seems to me
coffee in a non recyclable and non biodegradable single shot package
is not where the current generation should be going.

Couldn't talk the wife out of a Keurig so I found the 545 model on sale at Costco. It came with the stainless reusable cup so I can use the Folgers coffee I'm used to.
She likes experimenting with various flavors but I tend to mostly stick with what I like.
Also got the stainless steel carafe but haven't used it yet.

wrote:
I understand they are manna from heaven for yuppies but it seems to me
coffee in a non recyclable and non biodegradable single shot package
is not where the current generation should be going.

They do make recycle type kcups now. One of the reasons I do not have a
k-cup brewer is the trash generated.

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 15:57:04 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:
I understand they are manna from heaven for yuppies but it seems to me
coffee in a non recyclable and non biodegradable single shot package
is not where the current generation should be going.

Not a single tree was cut down to make a k-cup.

Trees are an agricultural product and the ultimate renewable resource.

.... but if you cut a K cup open, you will see a paper filter in there
so what you say is not really true. That is also what makes them not
viable for recycling. It costs more to separate the paper filter, the
used coffee and foil cover from the plastic, than scrap plastic is
worth. If you were really serious about economically viable recycling,
you would peel the cover off, throw that in with your aluminum and
chuck the rest of the cup in the trash. At a certain point all of that
takes away the convenience of the cup in the first place.

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 13:01:53 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Couldn't talk the wife out of a Keurig so I found the 545 model on sale at Costco. It came with the stainless reusable cup so I can use the Folgers coffee I'm used to.

The last time I was at Costco, they had Folgers in K cups.

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:08:27 -0600, Califbill
wrote:

They do make recycle type kcups now. One of the reasons I do not have a
k-cup brewer is the trash generated.

I just drink more coffee than that. This is for my wife to make an
evening cup of decaf. The machine we have can either make one cup or
12. A cup of coffee for me is 20 oz.

wrote:

Couldn't talk the wife out of a Keurig so I found the 545 model on sale at Costco. It came with the stainless reusable cup so I can use the Folgers coffee I'm used to.

The last time I was at Costco, they had Folgers in K cups.

They have them up here but usual price is just over 50 cents a cup vs Folgers 920 gram tubs which supposedly give you 200 cups at $ 6.99 on sale at Wal*Mart. A tiny fraction of the cost if you don't mind cleaning that little reusable pod.