Default Why am I still here?

On 1/10/2017 8:28 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/10/17 7:41 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/10/2017 7:20 AM, True North wrote:
Alex
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/9/2017 6:44 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/9/17 6:02 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/8/2017 6:15 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/8/17 5:47 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/8/2017 1:06 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
"Check out the Honda Ridgeliner. Barely a truck but well received."

Say what!
I thought you know-it-alls claimed that a uni-body vehicle couldn't be
a truck
I expect an apology for the ridicule heaped on my Rav4 and my
Highlander.

That was basically true in the past. Unibody construction wasn't stiff
enough (or strong enough) to handle the loads typically encountered with
a truck's potential usages. However, more recent unibody designs have
supposedly taken that into account. The new Honda Ridgeline is
promoting the fact that it's unibody construction is still rated to tow
up to 5,000 lbs.

I doubt very much you'll see a unibody truck being recommended for snow
plowing soon though.

Wow. I don't know that I'd want to tow a 5000 pound trailer/load behind
one of these new, smaller trucks. Mine is rated at 6400 pounds, but I
wonder at braking capabilities and the ability to tow that load up hilly
inclines.

Most states require independent brakes on trailers above 3K lbs with
some above 5K lbs. Maryland and Massachusetts are exceptions but
Maryland requires a braking system that will hold the trailer in place
on a grade (unattached to a vehicle).

I've always had trailer brakes on the car trailer, horse trailer and
boat trailers. Adjusted properly with the controller, they put little
or no extra stopping capability requirement on the tow vehicle. Surge
brakes on boat trailers are a little "iffy" though.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:44:57 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I've always had trailer brakes on the car trailer, horse trailer and
boat trailers. Adjusted properly with the controller, they put little
or no extra stopping capability requirement on the tow vehicle. Surge
brakes on boat trailers are a little "iffy" though.

Brakes on boat trailers are iffy no matter what. If you are dunking
them in salt water, they don't last very long.

wrote:

I've always had trailer brakes on the car trailer, horse trailer and
boat trailers. Adjusted properly with the controller, they put little
or no extra stopping capability requirement on the tow vehicle. Surge
brakes on boat trailers are a little "iffy" though.

Brakes on boat trailers are iffy no matter what. If you are dunking
them in salt water, they don't last very long.

My UFP aluminum calipers have done well over the years. Only problem I had
was wiped out a caliper and rotor, when the pads separated. Left just the
steel backing of the pad grinding on the rotor and the caliper piston came
out far enough to leak all the fluid. Could have rebuilt the caliper, but
cost and availability of parts had me buy a new one. The disks do much
better than the old style brakes.