Default ICW South from JAX - Hurricane Matthew follow up

We anchored last night about 9 miles north of St Augustine after
resuming our trip south. The St Johns River east of JAX had a lot of
residential dock damage with many water front homes littered with
splintered wood. We also encountered many large pieces of wood
floating half submerged in the channel.

We called SeaTow St Augestine this morning before weighing anchor to
get an up to the minute update on what lay ahead. They assured us that
the Bridge of Lions was operating, as was the bridge at Crescent
Beach. They also cautioned us however that many navigation aids were
missing or damaged and that is very much the case. As luck would have
it, the most crucial markers like G59/R60 in St Augustine and the
temporary green markers at the Matanzas River/ICW junction were OK. It
is really crucial to have up to date charts for this area. There was
one very oddly placed red marker at this junction which was not on the
charts and would have required an impossible zig zag course if
followed. I eventually decided that it must have been blown off
position from somewhere else and ignored it. No problem.

Just south of St Augustine there is a huge amount of damage to boats,
docks and homes. We saw countless boats that had been blown into
marshes, lawns and mangroves - all types and sizes. It will take a
huge effort to salvage all of them. Fish Island marina just north of
mile marker 780 seemed to have been particularly hard hit with most of
their docks and boats apparently broken loose. Farther south, for a
stretch of 5 to 10 miles, every single private dock was smashed up in
some way, apparently from high tidal surge and waves. The ICW was
totally passable however and we're now anchored for the night just
north of Daytona Beach.

More dots for Harry:

http://tinyurl.com/waynebspottrack

Tim Tim is offline

I like the dots.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 19:51:45 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

Nice report, Wayne. Thanks.