Default Bad day story

Decide to prune huge lilac tree which has gotten about 20' high.
Need a new blade for the sawzall. Decide to ride Guzzi to Home Depot.
Then decide to get Guzzi safety inspected on the way to HD.
Do a 'pre-safety' check on bike. Turn signals don't work.
Find a broken wire to left signal. Decide not enough slack in wiring harness.
Remove crash bar to re-route wiring harness.
Drop nut and lock washer from crash bar between frame and engine. Can't see either,
but can feel nut with middle finger jammed down between frame and engine.
Spend a bit over two hours getting nut and washer out using an assortment of magnets, screwdrivers,
ice pick, tweezers, and lots of cuss words.
Need a little 'bullet' connector for turn signal. I'm out, so walk to Advance Auto. They're out too.
Walk home and try another approach.
Get wire fixed and harness re-routed. Lots of slack now. Everything looks good.
Turn signals still don't work.
****!!
Emergency flasher doesn't work either.

Decide to take truck to get saw blade. Get the lilac trimmed. (That was first priority, remember?)

Decide to replace flasher, walk to Advance Auto, get flasher, walk back.
Upon inspection, see that new flasher has been opened and scotch taped back together.
Walk back to Advance Auto. That flasher was last one. Guy says try it and if it doesn't work
they'll take it back. Walk home, try it, and it doesn't work. Walk back.
He'll order one and have it this afternoon.

It ain't over 'til it's over!

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:43:33 -0400, Poquito Loco
wrote:

[...]

Ah the days when motorcycles did not have all of that stuff.

wrote:

[...]

Turn signals?

The best I can tell, Moto Guzzi started putting them on bikes in 1971 with the V7 California.

wrote:

[...]

Yeah The good old days. I think my 72 Superglide may have had signals
on it when it was new but they were gone when I bought it, along with
that stupid seat and the collector exhaust pipe.
This is what I had.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/72%20harley.jpg

wrote:

[...]

Cool. I've never been in to Harleys. Three of my brothers are/were Harley guys, and kept bugging me
to get one. But, the Goose would out run and out curve the Harleys, and I could fix most anything
that went wrong with it.

And, BTW, the flasher did the trick. Everything's working again.

Tim Tim is offline

Sep 24Poquito Loco
Cool. I've never been in to Harleys. Three of my brothers are/were Harley guys, and kept bugging me
to get one. But, the Goose would out run and out curve the Harleys, and I could fix most anything
that went wrong with it.

And, BTW, the flasher did the trick. Everything's working again.

I'm glad it all worked out. Did you take it for inspection yet? I just got a renewal notice for my guzzi plates. I didn't know I've had it for a year already. There goes 41 bucks. Hmm insurance will be due shortly as well. Another annual couple hundred. Oh well. It's worth it though.

I agree with Milano over Milwaukee though. Btw, I'm still debating on the MV. I can get an Agista or Aprilla any time. Instead, I need to consentrate funds for restoring the Indian.

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 07:58:08 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Sep 24Poquito Loco
Cool. I've never been in to Harleys. Three of my brothers are/were Harley guys, and kept bugging me
to get one. But, the Goose would out run and out curve the Harleys, and I could fix most anything
that went wrong with it.

And, BTW, the flasher did the trick. Everything's working again.

I'm glad it all worked out. Did you take it for inspection yet? I just got a renewal notice for my guzzi plates. I didn't know I've had it for a year already. There goes 41 bucks. Hmm insurance will be due shortly as well. Another annual couple hundred. Oh well. It's worth it though.

I agree with Milano over Milwaukee though. Btw, I'm still debating on the MV. I can get an Agista or Aprilla any time. Instead, I need to consentrate funds for restoring the Indian.

I'd be tempted to restore the Ambo, but then, I'm biased.

Yeah, took it in yesterday. Everything worked so I got the sticker. But, later on while riding the
dash lights went out and the engine died. Turning the key got them back on and got me going, but
when I cranked the throttle, it went 'pop' and died again. Played with it and got it back home.
Thinking maybe I had an ignition switch problem, I started to take it out. But, when I got to the
wires to the switch, I realized my messing with the signal wires and the wiring harness must have
loosened the connection. So I put it back in place. Just got back from a spin on the Beltway and all
is well...untill next time. Stay tuned.
Tim Tim is offline

I wish the keys with was better on my '83 gold wing aspencade. It's contacts are worn to where you have to hit it just right to connect ignition. Then it stays. A bad thing is that the tail lights run through the switch too. And you have to hit it just right to have ign AND tail lights.

A replacement switch assembly is $189.00 and its in its own world. Plus you about have to take off the factory fairing to change it!
And, It's made for the digital dash models. I don't mind its quirks but the Mrs won't ride it. Yeah I gotta get it fixed.

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:35:53 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

I wish the keys with was better on my '83 gold wing aspencade. It's contacts are worn to where you have to hit it just right to connect ignition. Then it stays. A bad thing is that the tail lights run through the switch too. And you have to hit it just right to have ign AND tail lights.

A replacement switch assembly is $189.00 and its in its own world. Plus you about have to take off the factory fairing to change it!
And, It's made for the digital dash models. I don't mind its quirks but the Mrs won't ride it. Yeah I gotta get it fixed.

I once lost a top to a Calafia saddle bag. My brother in Seattle took me to this place. Sure enough,
they had one. Give them a call.

Bent Bike Motorcycle - 18327 HWY 99 Lynnwood, WA 98037 (800) 328-8810

http://www.bentbikemotorcycles.com/xcart/

There's got to be a used ignition switch for that damn thing somewhere. I sent an email to a Honda
Goldwing lover buddy of mine. I assume you saw this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-swi...74H 9&vxp=mtr

I'd call him and see if he'd take something off. Hell, the ad says he's got ten of them!
Tim Tim is offline

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 2:24:07 PM UTC-5, Poquito Loco wrote:
[...]

Oh I can find plenty of 'used' ones. Mine is used too, and its bad with only 25,000 miles on it so, whats the other guys switch going to be like? The tumbler is fine. it's the actually switch part thats worn out.

Sad story Justan Olphart[_2_] General 10 September 3rd 15 10:10 PM
An old, sad story hk General 1 April 8th 10 11:42 PM
What a story! Joe ASA 0 January 14th 05 08:05 PM
( OT ) The story might have been different Jim General 0 April 5th 04 04:22 PM