Default new destroyer goes for sea trials

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-navy-...lt-sea-trials/

Luddite, bigger can, reup?

On 12/9/2015 1:07 AM, Califbill wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-navy-...lt-sea-trials/

Luddite, bigger can, reup?

I think I'll sit this one out and let younger people try it out.

The hull design is called a "Tumblehome Hull" and is quite
controversial. The hull pitches inward rather than outward
like on a typical flared hull. The Tumblehome hull was used 100 years
on ships but was prone to making the ship unstable in rough seas,
especially following seas. Instead of displacing water away from the
ship, it displaces water up *on* to the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-s3S3F8Mao

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 05:33:21 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 12/9/2015 1:07 AM, Califbill wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-navy-...lt-sea-trials/

Luddite, bigger can, reup?

I think I'll sit this one out and let younger people try it out.

The hull design is called a "Tumblehome Hull" and is quite
controversial. The hull pitches inward rather than outward
like on a typical flared hull. The Tumblehome hull was used 100 years
on ships but was prone to making the ship unstable in rough seas,
especially following seas. Instead of displacing water away from the
ship, it displaces water up *on* to the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-s3S3F8Mao

Well, it does look like it wants to be a submarine.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On 12/9/2015 9:59 AM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 12/9/2015 1:07 AM, Califbill wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-navy-...lt-sea-trials/

Luddite, bigger can, reup?

I think I'll sit this one out and let younger people try it out.

The hull design is called a "Tumblehome Hull" and is quite
controversial. The hull pitches inward rather than outward
like on a typical flared hull. The Tumblehome hull was used 100 years
on ships but was prone to making the ship unstable in rough seas,
especially following seas. Instead of displacing water away from the
ship, it displaces water up *on* to the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-s3S3F8Mao

You see tumblehome a lot in transom designs of sailboats. Is
there a practical reason?

Stealth mode while sailing backwards?

Local man builds mini destroyer Mr. Luddite General 14 October 16th 13 01:07 AM
Sea Trials - day 2 CaveLamb Tall Ship Photos 7 July 4th 11 11:00 PM
New Type 45 Destroyer Eddie General 0 October 9th 10 04:14 PM
Sea trials [email protected] ASA 1 January 5th 06 12:01 AM
WTB: Stainless Destroyer Wheel, 32" Hank Cruising 0 February 12th 04 04:43 PM