Default "Hunting Hitler"

Watching a new series on "The History Channel" called "Hunting Hitler".

The part being aired right now is the period giving rise to Hitler
following WWI, the Great Depression, it's global economic affects and
the lead up to WWII.

Eerily similar to some things going on today.

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 19:09:49 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Watching a new series on "The History Channel" called "Hunting Hitler".

The part being aired right now is the period giving rise to Hitler
following WWI, the Great Depression, it's global economic affects and
the lead up to WWII.

Eerily similar to some things going on today.

.... and the debt bubble hasn't even popped yet.
The governments are not in as good a position to just borrow money or
to simply print it. The world economy is certainly in as much trouble
as it was in the 30s but the central banks have a heavy thumb on the
scale so we don't notice. The question is how long can that last?

I was just reading an article today about how Walmart is suffering
because we are in a deflationary spiral and there are no "excess
profits" to cut to further lower prices. Some of that is simply
because they gave the employees a $1 raise. Imagine what would happen
if Bernie gets his wish and it is over $5. The idea that the
government can stop deflation with government mandated wage hikes is
as stupid as the idea in the 70s that they could stop inflation with
wage and price controls. BTW is Bernie telling his followers that
those wage hikes WILL come with price hikes? That will affect the
middle class more than anyone else.

Mr. Luddite
"Watching a new series on "The History Channel" called "Hunting Hitler".

The part being aired right now is the period giving rise to Hitler
following WWI, the Great Depression, it's global economic affects and
the lead up to WWII.

Eerily similar to some things going on today."

I'm recording and watching that series also. The ones I've seen show teams of investigators traveling to Argentine, Germany etc. Trying to figure out if he really did die in the bunker or escaped to German enclaves in South America.

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:27:46 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
"Watching a new series on "The History Channel" called "Hunting Hitler".

The part being aired right now is the period giving rise to Hitler
following WWI, the Great Depression, it's global economic affects and
the lead up to WWII.

Eerily similar to some things going on today."

I'm recording and watching that series also. The ones I've seen show teams of investigators traveling to Argentine, Germany etc. Trying to figure out if he really did die in the bunker or escaped to German enclaves in South America.

Yeah and I saw Elvis at the walmart. ;-)

I think hitler's death has been investigated pretty extensively and
there were a number of witnesses who would have no reason to lie 20 or
30 years later.

I may check out the show but isn't this about the 10th History Channel
show about hitler? I am sure we will see Traudl Junge and the other
regulars there.

On 11/7/2015 9:38 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:27:46 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
[...]

The part that I was watching wasn't about questions of what happened to
Hitler at the end of the war. It was more on the events leading to
WWII. Learned some things I never knew before about FDR, Neville
Chamberlain and Winston Churchhill.

FDR was fighting the Depression by instituting massive government
welfare programs, paid for by severely cutting military/defense budgets.
He really didn't "borrow" to pay for them. Chamberlain was taking
similar actions. Hitler took the opposite tact and started spending
heavily on military equipment and programs that employed German citizens
much like what Putin is doing in Russia today. Churchill is the one who
started raising the alarms and began putting pressure on the rest of the
world to prepare for war. By the time war came, no one was prepared
to deal with Germany's overpowering military strength.
Chamberlain's policy of "appeasement" failed and Britain was close to
being lost. The USA was also caught flat-footed militarily when the
Japanese struck.

The big difference then ... that doesn't exist now ... is that the USA
had a huge manufacturing capacity that turned on and began producing
equipment and supplies for the war effort. We don't have that today,
but the next world war probably won't need it. It will be over quickly.

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 23:43:50 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 11/7/2015 9:38 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:27:46 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
[...]

They write these things down
The debt was $16.1B in 1930 and $40b is 1939. Somebody was borrowing
money. After that they were raiding the SS trust fund, a practice that
continued until recently when SS went upside down and there was no
more money to raid.

Chamberlain was taking
similar actions. Hitler took the opposite tact and started spending
heavily on military equipment and programs that employed German citizens
much like what Putin is doing in Russia today.

hitler had a captive economy and he was able to print Marks to cover
his buildup. He also called on his people to sacrifice more than they
were willing to do before the buildup, same as FDR. I agree the war
brought Germany out of the depression earlier than it brought us out
but that is the way of popular military buildups where the citizens
are willing to pitch in. Our problem now is we spend $800B a year and
it is painless to the population since we are not paying for it.

Churchill is the one who
started raising the alarms and began putting pressure on the rest of the
world to prepare for war. By the time war came, no one was prepared
to deal with Germany's overpowering military strength.
Chamberlain's policy of "appeasement" failed and Britain was close to
being lost. The USA was also caught flat-footed militarily when the
Japanese struck.

We were not ignorant of what was going on in Europe and the
possibility of going there was not seen as impossible, the doughboys
just got back less than 2 decades before but FDR stood up and promised
us he was going to stay out.
"Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars... blah
blah" similar to LBJ

The big difference then ... that doesn't exist now ... is that the USA
had a huge manufacturing capacity that turned on and began producing
equipment and supplies for the war effort. We don't have that today,
but the next world war probably won't need it. It will be over quickly.

The only reason we need it is because it would pull us out of the
upcoming depression. Like I said, the government doesn't have many
bullets left in the gun next time.

On 11/8/2015 1:31 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 23:43:50 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 11/7/2015 9:38 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:27:46 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
[...]

You should e-mail the researchers and producers of the History Channel
series and let them know they got it all wrong.

The point was that during the years leading up to 1941 FDR was able to
increase government spending enormously to pay for work programs and
numerous Great Depression welfare programs without increasing the debt
in any significant way. He did so by reducing military spending by over
50%.

The debt in 1932 ... last year of Herbert Hoover ... was $36 Billion.
From 1933 to 1941 under FDR it ranged from $1 Billion in 1938 to $58
Billion in 1941. Most of those years it hovered
around the same $36 Billion that Hoover had in his last year.

The debt jumped big time in 1942, the year following the USA's
entrance into WWII. It went from the $58B of 1940 to $227B in 1942.
1943 was double at $568B, 1944 was $478B, 1945 was $467B and then,
as the war ended and under Truman, it dropped to $145B in 1946.

Tim Tim is offline

Watching a new series on "The History Channel" called "Hunting Hitler".

The part being aired right now is the period giving rise to Hitler
following WWI, the Great Depression, it's global economic affects and
the lead up to WWII.

Eerily similar to some things going on today.
-----

I'm watching some of it tonight. The "hunters" are explored mg Argentina on the theory that he had escaped to there.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 19:37:46 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Watching a new series on "The History Channel" called "Hunting Hitler".

The part being aired right now is the period giving rise to Hitler
following WWI, the Great Depression, it's global economic affects and
the lead up to WWII.

Eerily similar to some things going on today.
-----

I'm watching some of it tonight. The "hunters" are explored mg Argentina on the theory that he had escaped to there.

That is what I just tried to watch. Plenty of "we don't really have
any evidence but we won't stop talking about it"
The weird references to Bin Laden are just tedious.

My first thought is, how could a sociopath like Hitler live a quiet
life anywhere? He would be trying to restart the reich wherever he
was, if he was still alive.