Default Wow!

Good luck to Mexicans in the path of Patricia.
200 mph winds ... strongest hurricane on record
for the eastern Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

Infrared view

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...5-ir-long.html

We may get showers on Wed. From the storm. And we are a long ways away.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:06:50 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Good luck to Mexicans in the path of Patricia.
200 mph winds ... strongest hurricane on record
for the eastern Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

This is going to be an expensive one too. It is aimed right at Puerto
Lallarta the last I heard and I doubt their building code was up to
the challenge when all of those hotels and condos were built.
The only good news is it will pass east of them on it's current track
so the surge will be behind the eye and not in front of it. You
usually get a lesser flood that way but it may be a blue sky thing
that takes people by surprise. If it is moving fast enough, there
might not be any surge at all.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...large#contents

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:09:05 -0700, Califbill billnews wrote:

Infrared view

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...5-ir-long.html

We may get showers on Wed. From the storm. And we are a long ways away.

===

Look at how tightly wound that eye wall is. That's the sign of a real
killer storm. They're talking about sustained winds of 200 mph 30
miles either side of the eye with gusts to 240. It will level
anything that it hits, just like a big tornado.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:54:49 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:09:05 -0700, Califbill billnews wrote:

Infrared view

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...5-ir-long.html

We may get showers on Wed. From the storm. And we are a long ways away.

===

Look at how tightly wound that eye wall is. That's the sign of a real
killer storm. They're talking about sustained winds of 200 mph 30
miles either side of the eye with gusts to 240. It will level
anything that it hits, just like a big tornado.

Your wind map has a great picture of that.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....87,24.94,1389

You will have to drag the map over.
It looks like the classic representation of a black hole.

wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:09:05 -0700, Califbill billnews wrote:

Infrared view

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...5-ir-long.html

We may get showers on Wed. From the storm. And we are a long ways away.

===

Look at how tightly wound that eye wall is. That's the sign of a real
killer storm. They're talking about sustained winds of 200 mph 30
miles either side of the eye with gusts to 240. It will level
anything that it hits, just like a big tornado.

Your wind map has a great picture of that.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....87,24.94,1389

You will have to drag the map over.
It looks like the classic representation of a black hole.

Looking at your map, wondered something. Are upper level outgoing winds
even higher speed? All that air flowing in has to go somewhere.

wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:09:05 -0700, Califbill billnews wrote:

Infrared view

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...5-ir-long.html

We may get showers on Wed. From the storm. And we are a long ways away.

===

Look at how tightly wound that eye wall is. That's the sign of a real
killer storm. They're talking about sustained winds of 200 mph 30
miles either side of the eye with gusts to 240. It will level
anything that it hits, just like a big tornado.

Your wind map has a great picture of that.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....87,24.94,1389

You will have to drag the map over.
It looks like the classic representation of a black hole.

Looking at your map, wondered something. Are upper level outgoing winds
even higher speed? All that air flowing in has to go somewhere.

It goes up the center of the cyclone (the suck zone) and spreads out
across the whole top of the storm.

wrote:

[...]

But what kind of wind speeds will be above the eye and near the center of
the storm?

wrote:

[...]

Interesting question I can't answer but I believe it dissipates pretty
fast in the upper atmosphere. The energy is expended in the cyclone
and we are looking at the exhaust.

wrote:

[...]

Unless the upper volume is bigger than the lower region, will have to be
higher speeds.