Default From Forbes...

....the "tool" of the capitalist...

Congress Still Bans CDC Scientists From Studying Gun Violence

In the wake of another mass shooting (among many this year), we are
asking again: What causes gun violence? Is there a causal relationship
between gun ownership and gun violence? We might know the answers to
these questions, or at least have a body of empirical evidence getting
us closer to the answers, if government scientists were allowed to study
them.

But they’re not.

In June, the Appropriations Committee of the U.S. House of
Representatives, (run by the GOP) rejected an amendment that would have
repealed a ban on scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) conducting research to study the relationship between
gun ownership and gun violence. Supporters of the ban, including current
House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) argue that the CDC shouldn’t study
these questions because “a gun is not a disease.”

Arguably, though, CDC researchers have studied other kinds of
environmental factors that play a role in human health and in human
behaviors with implications for human health. Are alcohol, tobacco, and
other drugs of abuse diseases? Is a faulty ventilation system, of the
sort that might provide a hospitable environment for the bacterium that
causes Legionnaire’s disease? Is a hurricane? If you think, given its
scientific mission, that the CDC is the wrong group of government
scientists to study the connection between gun ownership and gun
violence, fine. Allocate funding to the right government scientists,
those working in the appropriate scientific disciplines to conduct the
research. Establish research grants to support academic scientists
studying this question. Do something to mobilize scientists to address
this problem.

Or, admit that the point of the ban is that you don’t want scientists to
work on these questions at all.

Why wouldn’t you want scientists to look into connections between gun
ownership and gun violence?

- - -

That stench...it's the NRA...

On 10/4/2015 1:00 AM, Boating All Out wrote:
Too many idiots own guns.

This much is true.

Justan Olphart wrote:
On 10/4/2015 1:00 AM, Boating All Out wrote:
Too many idiots own guns.

This much is true.

If you replace "own" with "stole" I would agree 100%.

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 20:17:17 -0400, Alex wrote:

Justan Olphart wrote:
On 10/4/2015 1:00 AM, Boating All Out wrote:
Too many idiots own guns.

This much is true.

If you replace "own" with "stole" I would agree 100%.

Nope. A stolen gun is owned by the thief. He'd have to say 'borrowed'. He's full of
more crap than Krause.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 01:00:54 -0500, Boating All Out wrote:

In article ,
says...

...the "tool" of the capitalist...

Congress Still Bans CDC Scientists From Studying Gun Violence

In the wake of another mass shooting (among many this year), we are
asking again: What causes gun violence? Is there a causal relationship
between gun ownership and gun violence? We might know the answers to
these questions, or at least have a body of empirical evidence getting
us closer to the answers, if government scientists were allowed to study
them.

But they?re not.

snip GOP intransigence (that's a given)

Why wouldn?t you want scientists to look into connections between gun
ownership and gun violence?

- - -

That stench...it's the NRA...

Just between you and me, people who don't own guns don't
commit gun violence.
Gun owners do.
The NRA is paid to deny that fact.
The only way to reduce gun violence is to reduce the number
of laissez faire gun owners.
Too many idiots own guns.

--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On 10/3/2015 10:02 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
If you think, given its scientific mission, that the CDC is the wrong
group of government scientists to study the connection between gun
ownership and gun violence, fine. Allocate funding to the right
government scientists, those working in the appropriate scientific
disciplines to conduct the research.

That stench...it's the NRA...

More than likely what you smell is from the lack of your own personal
hygiene.

As a writer, you should know how to quote and attribute. I suggest you