Default My $400.00 beater boat

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/3/2015 11:29 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 07:31:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

This is a nice sumple old boat and I don't want to "restore" it but the
plexiglass windshield is gaily yellowed. Anyone know
where to get a replacement. Probably be worth more than the boat. Lol!

===

Here's something that might work:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5877545_yellowed-plexiglas-clear-again.html

If that fails, you might try doing a small area with one of those kits
they sell for restoring plastic headlight covers. If all else fails,
a very fine polishing compound like 3M Finesse It might work.

More here;

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-yellow-discoloration-from-clear-plastic-headlights/

My son recently did the Meguiars polish/cleaner process on an older
Saturn he has. The headlight covers weren't really yellow but they were
badly hazed over.

It works but it's not as easy as the advertisements would like you to
believe. Took him about 100 applications over the course of several
days, rubbing the stuff in and then polishing it off. Lots of elbow
grease involved. They still are not perfectly clear but they are much
better than when he first started.

I bought new headlight assemblies for my truck from a place on the Internet
for $70, free shipping. They included new lamps. Only regret is I did not
get the driving light assembly also, after seeing how nice the headlights
look. 1a auto I think.

Tim Tim is offline

Btw, concerning the windshield, I was talking to the guy that runs the local glass specialty shop, and he said if I cared to, he'd send it off to one of his plexi-glass suppliers who also custom refabs stuff and can have it duplicated, but it'd be pricy though. But I didn't ask how much... Yet.

Tim wrote:
Btw, concerning the windshield, I was talking to the guy that runs the local glass specialty shop, and he said if I cared to, he'd send it off to one of his plexi-glass suppliers who also custom refabs stuff and can have it duplicated, but it'd be pricy though. But I didn't ask how much... Yet.

Is it broken our just cloudy? You can clean it with one of the
headlight kits. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-HRK-B.../dp/B00429NKWK
Tim Tim is offline

It's been mentioned earlier on and I've Thought about that. Eh, no more than it'll be used I'll probably leave it the way it is
Tim Tim is offline

Default boat is ready!

Just got a call from the boat guy. All new hoses, plugs, spark plug wires, impeller and lube. It's been fogged and ready to mothball for the winter.He even threw another prop in for me to try in the spring. He even said what was on it was a good ski prop but not a cruiser.

Now I'll check the wheel bearings, pull and look the starter over, and get some new tires. Also I want to figure out a battery isolator for it to run two batteries. I'm used to doing that with automotive but not on an outboard. No real trick to it, but different.

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 14:14:24 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Btw, concerning the windshield, I was talking to the guy that runs the local glass specialty shop, and he said if I cared to, he'd send it off to one of his plexi-glass suppliers who also custom refabs stuff and can have it duplicated, but it'd be pricy though. But I didn't ask how much... Yet.

There are places online that can make these things but I still think
you can buff it out if it is just cloudy.

Use something like jeweler's rouge or a soft rubbing compound on a
fleece pad and a buffer.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Btw, concerning the windshield, I was talking to the guy that runs the local glass specialty shop, and he said if I cared to, he'd send it off to one of his plexi-glass suppliers who also custom refabs stuff and can have it duplicated, but it'd be pricy though. But I didn't ask how much... Yet.

There are places online that can make these things but I still think
you can buff it out if it is just cloudy.

Use something like jeweler's rouge or a soft rubbing compound on a
fleece pad and a buffer.
I'll give it a try but it's really not too bad. This isn't a top priority project. It's actually live able the way it is. So I'm not gonna put too much effort into it. But...it could be a bit better.

wrote:

Btw, concerning the windshield, I was talking to the guy that runs the local glass specialty shop, and he said if I cared to, he'd send it off to one of his plexi-glass suppliers who also custom refabs stuff and can have it duplicated, but it'd be pricy though. But I didn't ask how much... Yet.

There are places online that can make these things but I still think
you can buff it out if it is just cloudy.

Use something like jeweler's rouge or a soft rubbing compound on a
fleece pad and a buffer.
I'll give it a try but it's really not too bad. This isn't a top priority project. It's actually live able the way it is. So I'm not gonna put too much effort into it. But...it could be a bit better.

My windshield is glass. Went out to Grand Lake yesterday and could hardly see through it due to dust & dirt and residue from salt water last month. Had a sheet of paper towel in my pocket so I leaned over and wet it in the lake and then wiped the windshield. Much better but I'll have to start carrying some mild window cleaner with me.

wrote:

[...]

Caked on salt still on your boat from last month? And you wonder why
it's rotting away on you. Sheeesh!

wrote:

[...]

I always keep a roll of those blue shop wipers on board. They are
handy for all sorts of stuff.

For cleaning the windshield a jug of tap water may be as good as
anything. Don't be stingy with it. Try to rinse off as much as you can
before you start wiping. A little grit can even scratch glass. It is
death to plastic.

You should have plenty of water on board anyway.