UglyDan®©™

Default Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Funny you should ask, I blew the receiver out on my Mini-14 about 10
years ago, but I was using my own RCB reloads, so I figure I must of
packed a hot load, Carry a Mossberg 500a SS with the line throwing kit
aboard tho. UD

Butch Ammon

....Carry a Mossberg 500a SS with the line throwing kit
aboard tho.

All I have is an old Marlin Mod 60 .22LR and a newer Remington 870 12GA, which
I bust clays with and also go hunting with.

I took my daughters with me one time down to the local wildlife managment
area's outdoor range. We took turn plinking with the Marlin .22 - believe it
or not, one of my girls actually out-shot me at 50 yards! I was safe and fun
for us. My girls are now young ladies, as they are 17 yrs old and thank God,
they know right from wrong. They don't care for the 870 12GA and skeet
shooting though. The recoil was a bit much for them.

Anyway, I wonder how many non-hunting people carry a firearm onboard a boat?

Butch Ammon
Gfretwell

Last summer, a vendor at a gun show said he loved the ban. The value of his
pre-ban magazines quadrupled. Now he's able to buy more guns and have an
arsenal. :-)

That guy was pumping you. Hi Cap mags are all over for virtually the price of
production. I can get all the 23-30rd M14 mags I want for $15.
How do you regulate something that NEVER had a S/N on it? You can fab up a
pretty good magazine in any small steel stamping shop and let someone prove it
isn't 10 years old a week later.
Keith

I've got a pre-ban AR-15 that's worth a lot now, just because of the "ban".
I also bought a bunch of 30 round clips, and a couple of 150 round
magazines, just because they were going to be banned. Yea, the anti-gun nuts
really scored on that one!

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Bayonet lug. Now that's silly. I can buy a pitchfork, sharpen it up real
nice and do more damage.

the whole "assault weapons ban" was dumb. It was just the perception of

doing
something while calling attention to a class of weapons that were no

particular
problem and making them an investment opportunity. After thae ban was

announced
2 MILLION were sold, most from China, to people who don't have a clue why

they
bought them or what they are going to do with them, since the market is
saturated.
If the gun haters had kept their mouth shut there would only have been a

nich
market in these things.

Harry Krause

Keith wrote:

I've got a pre-ban AR-15 that's worth a lot now, just because of the "ban".
I also bought a bunch of 30 round clips, and a couple of 150 round
magazines, just because they were going to be banned. Yea, the anti-gun nuts
really scored on that one!

Gee...are you expecting John Asscroft to come calling?

Email sent to will never reach me.

Doug Kanter

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Last summer, a vendor at a gun show said he loved the ban. The value of

his
pre-ban magazines quadrupled. Now he's able to buy more guns and have an
arsenal. :-)

That guy was pumping you. Hi Cap mags are all over for virtually the price

of
production. I can get all the 23-30rd M14 mags I want for $15.
How do you regulate something that NEVER had a S/N on it? You can fab up a
pretty good magazine in any small steel stamping shop and let someone

prove it
isn't 10 years old a week later.

Maybe, but I'm not a buyer for those anyway. I carry handguns with either 6
or 7 rounds. If a single attacker's not down in 3 shots, I have a real
problem, and 10 more ain't gonna do the trick.

Doug Kanter

"UglyDan®©T" wrote in message
Funny you should ask, I blew the receiver out on my Mini-14 about 10
years ago, but I was using my own RCB reloads, so I figure I must of
packed a hot load, Carry a Mossberg 500a SS with the line throwing kit
aboard tho. UD

Line throwing kit? Hmmm. You know the idiots who stand on the dock,
obstructing the entire area, while they take pictures, but do nothing to
help boaters trying to dock in a 35 mph wind? Can a line throwing thing be
used to PUT a line onto those people at, say, 20 feet? Will it stick to them
or go through them in a way that I could pull against the weight of the
person?

:-)

Doug Kanter

Keith wrote:

I've got a pre-ban AR-15 that's worth a lot now, just because of the

"ban".
I also bought a bunch of 30 round clips, and a couple of 150 round
magazines, just because they were going to be banned. Yea, the anti-gun

nuts
really scored on that one!

Gee...are you expecting John Asscroft to come calling?

Hey..the presence of the accessories makes the gun more interesting to a
buyer, if Keith should ever decide to sell. I mean...who'd wanna buy a GTO
with an automatic tranny?

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Doug,

I find the Stainless "Ranch" Mini-14 is a well made rifle. It is a
little short, so it handles well. The .223 round packs plenty of punch.
2 or 3 Horniday hollow points will drop even a brown bear or big buck.
(The NATO FMJ will drill a perfect hole through 1/4 inch steel at 400 feet)

The stainless model doesn't rust, and disassembles easily and quickly to
a "machined parts" stage. Which makes it legal to go into a "no guns"
area such as a state park, though NOT a military or indian reservation.

In the 4 or 5 hundred shots I have fired, it has only misfired twice
(bad primers, and never had a jam with a factory magazine. (I buy a lot
of surplus ammo from: www.cheaperthandirt.com .) I also obtain some
from local gun shows. (Steel pin AP, Tracer ect. It is not illegal to
possess this ammo in FLorida, but is NOT legal to chamber it.) The after
market magazines are another story. I have had several mis-feeds and
though they clear with a pull of the bolt, and a quick flip to dump, it
still took some 5 seconds or so.

The thing I really like about the Mini is my wife can fire for half a
day at the range and it doesn't hurt her shoulder like a heavier
caliber* does.

(*My other "toy" is a Browning .300 Mag "white gold medallion". (Makes a
fine "deck gun" for Caribbean travel! grin. Custom loads available!
These will take the motor(s) out of a "go fast" at 1500 yards!) See link
below:

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=021

as a comparison, I bought Amy (wife) a Taurus Millennium 9mm, which
carries a 10 round magazine,
She can hit a target at 15 feet with it, but beyond, she simply scares
the paper and wastes ammo. After 4 or 5 magazines she complains it hurts
her hand.

None the less, I would not travel unarmed. There are too many "scary
things" out there.

Regards,

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter wrote:

In rec.guns every now and then, someone says "....but whatever you do, don't
buy a mini-14". Meanwhile, there are millions of them out there owned by
people who seem to like them. Any trouble with yours?

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Hi Butch,

When out and about, I carry a Ruger Mini-14 stainless ranch rifle (.223
semi-auto) 2 40 round magazines and my P-90 .45 cal.

I had an alarm installed which dials my cell & home phone. It will
inform me of high water, loss of electrical power, fire, or break in. In
case of break in, the alarm box sounds the horns and a very piercing
siren in the cabin. All in all, it makes quite a ruckus. It cost about
$600 bucks but is, I think worth it.

Capt. Frank

Butch Ammon wrote:

Don't worry about the dockmaster, Worry aout the Captain's handgun!

Capt. Frank

Good one....

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry

either the

new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield

1911 .45

(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon