Default Wayne, prop guy?

Wayne, Do you have a prop guy around here? I think mine needs a tune
up. Burress was suggested but I also heard they will be sending it to
Sarasota.

On 8/29/15 2:52 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:45:23 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 00:28:40 -0400,
wrote:

Wayne, Do you have a prop guy around here? I think mine needs a tune
up. Burress was suggested but I also heard they will be sending it to
Sarasota.

===

There are only two choices in CC that I'm aware of, Coastal Prop and
Burris. I've used both in the past for I/O props and they are OK.

We got the props balanced on the big boat last spring when it was
hauled out for bottom painting. Owl Creek Boat Works did the job but
I'm not sure if they sent them out or not. Great job in any case. The
boat had never been smoother running when we got it back. They might
tell you who they use if you give them a call. Butch Fulton is the
owner/manager and his shop foreman is Cliff.

I guess I wall call around and see what I can find out. If they all
are sending them out I may see if they will broker the deal and let me
ship it directly. I really do not want to drive to the Cape or East Ft
Myers. It will be faster too.

I have a plastic "emergency" prop coming so I will not be boatless.

Are "regular" props for middle range outboards so expensive that you
don't have one? Surely, there must be good used stainless props around
for $150 or less. My boating buddies in NE Florida who fish the ICW and
its creeks usually have a spare prop aboard because of the shell banks
they hit frequently.

wrote:

[...]

I had a spare for years and never used it. I sold it with my Merc 60.
I was just looking for something to use for a week or two until I get
my prop tuned up.

Too much manatee tartare will take a toll ;-)

Oysters are not really that tough on a stainless prop and the sand
just polishes it. I did tangle with a stump a while ago that may have
bent it a little. There is a slight vibration that I want to get rid
of.

wrote:

Wayne, Do you have a prop guy around here? I think mine needs a tune
up. Burress was suggested but I also heard they will be sending it to
Sarasota.

===

There are only two choices in CC that I'm aware of, Coastal Prop and
Burris. I've used both in the past for I/O props and they are OK.

We got the props balanced on the big boat last spring when it was
hauled out for bottom painting. Owl Creek Boat Works did the job but
I'm not sure if they sent them out or not. Great job in any case. The
boat had never been smoother running when we got it back. They might
tell you who they use if you give them a call. Butch Fulton is the
owner/manager and his shop foreman is Cliff.

I took this up to the dealer and a few of us looked at it on a jig
they have. Nobody could see anything wrong. I think I am just going to
put it back on..

===

Usually when one of my props needs work you can clearly see the
problem. :-)

Yeah I know and when I was looking at it on the boat, I thought I saw
a bent blade but once you got a good angle on it, they look the same.

After I got home I set it on a granite counter and started measuring
with a dial indicator, looking at the leading edges and trailing edges
of the blades at various points and it seems to be OK.

Now I am back looking for the mystery vibration.
I was out again today and it may still be there but less with the
lighter prop ... or it is the same and I was just wishing I was going
to fix something.
I also figured out it sounds worse because there is something in there
with a resonant buzz. I leaned on the top cover with no joy.
The problem is I can't run the boat and play with the motor looking
for the noise. My wife just wants to ride ;-)
I am going to take the cover off and poke around tomorrow. She can
either drive or sit there and watch the crash.

"I am going to take the cover off and poke around tomorrow. She can
either drive or sit there and watch the crash."

My wife was reluctant to take the helm of our boat but I just kept nagging her. After all, it was for my benefit if I fell overboard or whatever. She finally took the wheel out on the largest local lake and after going through the start..forward/reverse stop exercise a couple of times, she was in no hurry to hand back the helm. I'll insist that she drive the boat at least yearly.

Yo Wayne Poco Loco General 2 March 17th 14 12:40 PM
Yo Wayne.. Poco Loco General 3 March 8th 14 08:56 PM
Wayne B. Tim General 1 June 21st 11 04:58 AM
Yo!! Wayne!! Yogi of Woodstock General 3 July 24th 09 01:28 PM
Hey Wayne... Tom Francis - SWSports General 10 November 13th 08 08:28 PM