BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT posts? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1654-ot-posts.html)

Joe Parsons October 19th 03 04:32 PM

OT posts?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:49:47 GMT, Himm wrote:

what are OT posts?

Old Testament. You see, as our government moves closer to a theocracy, people's
opinions are categorized according ecclesiastical criteria.

HTH
Joe Parsons

Harry Krause October 19th 03 04:33 PM

OT posts?

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I far prefer Mozilla, even with its warts and occasional crashes.

I use the NS/Moz browser, but I still stick with outlook express for news
because as far as I can tell, Moz won't let you keep "watched" message
threads at the top of the list. It'll mark them in read, but you still have
to browse the header list for them, which can be a real pain in the ass.

Well, there's a difference. I don't encounter many threads worth
watching. At least not here. My wife informs me we're going to "The
Mall" soon, so maybe I will encounter some watchable threads there.

I was going to go out fishing today, but everyone I checked with who
went out yesterday found nothing but dink stripers, and they're hardly
worth the effort.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Joe Parsons October 19th 03 04:37 PM

OT posts?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:07:16 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Clams Canino wrote:

Actually it's done as a courtesy for people who set their newsreader to
automaticly filter out OT posts.

-W

Speaking of newsreaders, so to speak, I've been playing around with the
full version of Agent again, and I still can't figure out why it is so
"popular."
It is a real kludge, and while it presents the user with a wide variety
of features that may be customized, there are lots of things it cannot
do without forcing the user to jump through many hoops.

I've been using Agent since its pre-release--over ten years. The one
disadvantage I find is the difficulty of using more than one server. And
yes--it is a pain. For those few cases where I need to use multiple servers, I
use multiple agent.ini files. It is a kludge that is supposed to be corrected
with 2.0, due out Any Day Now.

If your Agent is slow, there is *definitely* something wrong--IME, it is as fast
as or faster than anything else out there, even on a slow machine.

Joe Parsons

As an example, setting it up to read posts emanating from a number of
servers - it can be done, but it takes considerable effort. And the
program doesn't make much effective use of the mouse right-clicks.
And...it is slow.

I far prefer Mozilla, even with its warts and occasional crashes.

_________________________________________________ ___________
Email sent to will never reach me.

Doug Kanter October 19th 03 04:58 PM

OT posts?

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I far prefer Mozilla, even with its warts and occasional crashes.

I use the NS/Moz browser, but I still stick with outlook express for

news
because as far as I can tell, Moz won't let you keep "watched" message
threads at the top of the list. It'll mark them in read, but you still

have
to browse the header list for them, which can be a real pain in the ass.

Well, there's a difference. I don't encounter many threads worth
watching.

Harry, you must be kidding. You hang onto some of these discussions like a
dog with a bone. :-)

Wayne.B October 19th 03 05:03 PM

OT posts?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:49:47 GMT, Himm wrote:

what are OT posts?

=============================

OT in this group means "On Topic". This may seem a bit convoluted but
rec.boats long ago stopped being a boating news group. Therefore any
posting which does NOT deal with boats is, by definition, "On Topic".

This is basically done as a convenience for folks who have no interest
in boating related posts and want to skip over them.

Doug Kanter October 19th 03 05:06 PM

OT posts?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:49:47 GMT, Himm wrote:

what are OT posts?

=============================

OT in this group means "On Topic". This may seem a bit convoluted but
rec.boats long ago stopped being a boating news group. Therefore any
posting which does NOT deal with boats is, by definition, "On Topic".

This is basically done as a convenience for folks who have no interest
in boating related posts and want to skip over them.

1) If you go into the bar at the marina, do you see a sign which prohibits
the discussion of non-boating topics?

2) When boating topics are posted here, have you noticed that the same
people who are at each other's throats sometimes usually manage to answer
boating questions completely, accurately and politely?

Jeez...suck it up. You want a static-free environment? Stock up on boating
books.

Harry Krause October 20th 03 12:45 AM

OT posts?

wrote:

Speaking of newsreaders, so to speak, I've been playing around with the
full version of Agent again, and I still can't figure out why it is so
"popular."
It is a real kludge, and while it presents the user with a wide variety
of features that may be customized, there are lots of things it cannot
do without forcing the user to jump through many hoops.

As an example, setting it up to read posts emanating from a number of
servers - it can be done, but it takes considerable effort. And the
program doesn't make much effective use of the mouse right-clicks.
And...it is slow.

Hang in there Harry..... version 2.0 is in beta.... there is hope...

Yeah, I know. I've messed around with Agent over the years, and each
time I do, I'm left wondering why it is so popular. To me, it looks loke
a program sloppily ported over to Windows from...well, I don't know. It
certainly doesn't follow many of the Windows guidelines for program
operation.

But I'll give Agent 2.0 a fair test. It allegedly is all new code.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Wayne.B October 20th 03 06:07 AM

OT posts?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:45:42 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Yeah, I know. I've messed around with Agent over the years, and each
time I do, I'm left wondering why it is so popular.

Agent's original claim to fame was that it was very adept at dealing
with multi-part binaries. Compared to the other alternatives
available at the time, it was a thing of beauty.

Donny October 22nd 03 12:48 PM

OT posts?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:49:47 GMT, Himm wrote:

what are OT posts?

Obtuse tomes?

*snicker*

1974 Trojan Sea Raider 25'