James Johnson

Default Engine options....decisions, decisions, decisions....

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:39:02 -0400, DSK wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

What kind of speed do you get with your Lehman? The NA Perkins has a similar HP
rating.

We have the 135 six cylinder and a four blade 24" X 21" prop. This gives us ~ 7 1/2
knots at 1500 RPM, burning ~ 1.5 gpm. For the first half of this year, we burned
1.3 gph. I occasionally crank it up to 2250, which puts us about 8.6 knots with a
clean bottom. I think if we were to travel any sustained distance at these revs,
we'd probably be burning 5 gph or more.

I like the quiet & the fuel economy. However, remember that diesels are best at 85
to 98% of their rated full load. Running a gas engines at low load is good, running
a diesel at low loads will cause premature wear. I think having a bit in hand for
waves & head winds is nice, but having an extra 50+ HP and lugging the engine all
the time is bad.

The guy down the block has a Sonic 45SS parked on a trailer in front of his
house. Why someone would want a 3 engine missile to "blow $600 in gas going 85
knots in a day's running" is beyond me (his words). The boat cost twice what
his house does.

JJ

But then I am somewhat of an anti-horsepower freak. The amount of horsepower most
people think is desirable is beyond insane.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply