Default Had to share this story

On 10/28/2014 10:17 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 10/28/14 10:09 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2014 8:59 AM, Tim wrote:

John. For years I've had a British .303 right by my shop door. People
ask why I have a gun there, And my standard reply is" becaus the U.S.
Constitution says I can" ...

Are you required to have a trigger lock or other locking device that
disables it?

We do in Massachusetts. By law, all firearms must be stored in a safe
or have trigger or chamber locks installed. Ammo is supposed to be
stored elsewhere ... meaning not in the vicinity of the firearm.

My shotgun and Ruger 10/22 have locks on them. The handguns are loaded
but kept in a safe.

I wouldn't leave a firearm out where it is easy to steal, or where a
passing neighborhood kid might grab it for a prank. Obviously, you
wouldn't, either.

Shotguns hidden behind the front door doesn't count?

On 10/28/2014 8:59 AM, Tim wrote:

John. For years I've had a British .303 right by my shop door. People
ask why I have a gun there, And my standard reply is" becaus the U.S.
Constitution says I can" ...

Are you required to have a trigger lock or other locking device that
disables it?

We do in Massachusetts. By law, all firearms must be stored in a safe
or have trigger or chamber locks installed. Ammo is supposed to be
stored elsewhere ... meaning not in the vicinity of the firearm.

My shotgun and Ruger 10/22 have locks on them. The handguns are loaded
but kept in a safe.

I wouldn't leave a firearm out where it is easy to steal, or where a
passing neighborhood kid might grab it for a prank. Obviously, you
wouldn't, either.

No I wouldn't even if the laws governing their storage didn't exist.
I probably would if I lived in the wild west in 1840 but it doesn't
make any sense today.

Massachusetts maintains records on who owns what ... at least those
purchased since 1998. Having a firearm stolen without taking the lawful
precautions regarding storage and/or failure to immediately report the
firearm as lost or stolen can make you share liability for any crime
that may be committed with it.

It also makes tracking easier for law enforcement. For example, a
restraining order against a gun owner can result in the owner having to
lose custody of his/her firearms.

There is no federal law that requires the reporting of a lost or stolen
firearm but several states have such laws. They include:

Mandatory Loss/Theft Reporting

Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Illinois
Maryland (handguns and assault weapons only)
Massachusetts
Michigan (thefts only)
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Rhode Island

On 10/28/14 10:24 AM, Tim wrote:
Richard, that's a good question. Actually there's nothing in law here in illinois about trigger locks. My sure about Cook county(Chicago) though. The only thing there is here is about transporting a firearm. They must be unloaded, in a case, bag, or even wrapped, and either locked in the trunk or if up front, be in plain visible sight. Nothing under the seat etc. pistols can be stored in a glove box but still must be secured in a case and unloaded.

I transport my firearms to the range unloaded and in gun bags, and the
ammo and empty magazines are in a separate dry box with a lock on it. No
loaded magazines in the dry box.

I was stopped once for a blown out taillight and happened to be
returning from the range. Told the cop I had an unloaded revolver in a
bag on the back seat, and offered to hand it to him in the bag. He
wasn't interested.

Got a nice deal on a bag for my AR15 5.56/.223:

http://tinyurl.com/l5vnpc5

--
A vote for any Republican is a vote AGAINST:

Social Security, Medicare, Minimum Wage, Fair Pay, Food Stamps, Clean
Air and Water, Modest Gun Regulations, Public Schools, Rebuilding
Infrastructure and Good Jobs, Women's Rights, Veterans’ Rights, LGBT
Rights, and, of course, Your Right to Vote.

On 10/28/2014 8:59 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I wasn't aware of that law, but I did assume if a firearm were stolen,
you'd report that to the local police.

--
A vote for any Republican is a vote AGAINST:

Social Security, Medicare, Minimum Wage, Fair Pay, Food Stamps, Clean
Air and Water, Modest Gun Regulations, Public Schools, Rebuilding
Infrastructure and Good Jobs, Women's Rights, Veterans’ Rights, LGBT
Rights, and, of course, Your Right to Vote.

On 10/28/14 10:29 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:20:45 -0400, Harrold wrote:

On 10/28/2014 8:24 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 10/28/14 8:22 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:06:11 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 10/28/14 7:58 AM, Poco Loco wrote:

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data - right?

Not at all. The conclusion is that you are an ill-informed, ignorant
racist.

Have nice day.

"The modern definition of 'racist' is someone who's winning an
argument with a liberal."

... Peter Brimelow

You're not equipped to debate.
Have nice day.

Again, you've shaken your brain loose with all the masDEBATING you do.

Quite appropriate. He can't seem to tell when Greg or Luddite has put
him down and stomped him, which seems to be about a dozen times daily.

Your assumption is that I take rec.boats seriously. As usual, your
assumption is wrong.

On 10/28/2014 10:24 AM, Tim wrote:

Richard, that's a good question. Actually there's nothing in law here in illinois about trigger locks. My sure about Cook county(Chicago) though. The only thing there is here is about transporting a firearm. They must be unloaded, in a case, bag, or even wrapped, and either locked in the trunk or if up front, be in plain visible sight. Nothing under the seat etc. pistols can be stored in a glove box but still must be secured in a case and unloaded.

Tim, are you sure about the lock requirement? It would be strange
since Illinois has some other laws governing firearms that follow some
of the more "progressive" thinking.

As for transporting, MA laws state that if you hold a Class A,
unrestricted concealed carry license, you can have a loaded handgun with
you in your car as long as it is "under your control". Means it can be
on your person or in a glove compartment or other area within reach ...
BUT ... it has to be out of sight (concealed). That's the license I
have but I very rarely carry anymore. I did when I was carrying lots of
cash when I had the guitar shop.

MA also issues (or did) a "Class B" license as well that required
transporting in a similar manner to your Illinois transport laws.

Transporting long guns is different however, even with the Class A
license. They must be transported unloaded and either in a lockable
container or have a trigger or chamber lock installed.

On 10/28/2014 10:29 AM, Harrold wrote:
On 10/28/2014 10:09 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2014 8:59 AM, Tim wrote:

John. For years I've had a British .303 right by my shop door. People
ask why I have a gun there, And my standard reply is" becaus the U.S.
Constitution says I can" ...

Are you required to have a trigger lock or other locking device that
disables it?

We do in Massachusetts. By law, all firearms must be stored in a safe
or have trigger or chamber locks installed. Ammo is supposed to be
stored elsewhere ... meaning not in the vicinity of the firearm.

My shotgun and Ruger 10/22 have locks on them. The handguns are loaded
but kept in a safe.

Best keep your safe open, lest you need quick access to your hand
cannons ;-)

I keep them all in the safe during the day (unless I am carrying one
which is rare).

At night I keep one of them within easy reach from my bed.

I think I told the story of hunting down "Fudge" recently in the middle
of the night. Goofy dog got out of the garage and was exploring the
house at 2am. Sounded for sure that someone was moving around from room
to room.

On 10/28/14 10:51 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Does a soft case on which you can padlock the zippers closed count as a
lockable container for a rifle?

--
A vote for any Republican is a vote AGAINST:

Social Security, Medicare, Minimum Wage, Fair Pay, Food Stamps, Clean
Air and Water, Modest Gun Regulations, Public Schools, Rebuilding
Infrastructure and Good Jobs, Women's Rights, Veterans’ Rights, LGBT
Rights, and, of course, Your Right to Vote.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:51:05 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

There are probably zillions of wild hogs where Tim lives. He needs to
keep something powerful quite handy.

On 10/28/2014 8:59 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

These days, I keep an unloaded .357 revolver close by at night, with a
5Star Speedloader with six rounds of Hornady Defense Ammo nearby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBO6Dm_PNJM

..357 MAG ammo is... *loud* !