Default Ahh, 'Merica...

Four major chain stores — Dillard’s, Burlington, REI, American Girl —
confirmed to ThinkProgress on Thursday that they will stay closed on
Thanksgiving Day as other stores begin to announce they’ll begin Black
Friday a day early.

In explaining its decision, a spokesperson for Dillard’s told
ThinkProgress, “We choose to remain closed on Thanksgiving in
longstanding tradition of honoring of our customers’ and associates’
time with family.” The other three didn’t elaborate on the reasons for
staying closed.

By contrast, last week Macy’s was the first retailer to announce that it
would be open on Thanksgiving Day, starting at 6 p.m. That’s the second
year in a row it has opened on the federal holiday itself, rather than
at midnight as it had in 2012. Walmart also told ThinkProgress that
nearly 1 million workers will have to report to work on Thanksgiving as
it will be open all day long. More are likely to make the same
announcement, as last year Kmart, Target, Toys R Us, Gap, Best Buy, and
a handful of others decided to follow Macy’s lead and begin Black Friday
on Thursday.

While the stores that open say employees are happy to volunteer and get
extra holiday pay, that may not be the whole story for everyone. The
United States is the only developed country that doesn’t guarantee that
workers can take paid holidays. That ends up meaning nearly a quarter of
private sector employees don’t get them, including 45 percent of service
sector workers. On top of that, many retail workers struggle with
erratic scheduling practices that leave them without enough hours to
live off of, so they may be desperate to get the extra shifts. There
were also reports last year of Kmart workers who were denied their
requests to take the day off.

The stores that decide to stay closed and give their employees the
holiday may find they end up rewarded. Last year, half of consumers said
they disapproved of the early hours and the vast majority didn’t plan to
shop on Thanksgiving anyway.
--

This Halloween, I’m dressing up as a Republican to answer the doorbell.
I’ll give one rich white kid an entire bag of expensive imported

On 10/25/14 6:31 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:47:49 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

[...]

This is really just a continuation of the tradition of keeping stores
closed on the sabbath. I bet you think that was religious superstition
inconveniencing you.

Sorry, but I don't see a connection between the old "Blue Laws" as they
were called in Connecticut (Most stores had to stay closed on Sundays),
and the decision of some large, interstate retailers to stay closed on
Thanksgiving.

Further, I don't see Thanksgiving as a particularly religious holiday,
though I do realize some people do.

What I think here is that you are looking for some hairs to split so
you'll have another argument.

Sadly, no one has taken me up my offer to leave rec.boats forever for
the bribe I specified.

On 10/25/2014 5:47 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:

[...]

*You are quoting George Soros' Think Progress. Are you aware of that?*

On 10/25/2014 6:34 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
Sadly, no one has taken me up my offer to leave rec.boats forever for
the bribe I specified.

--
This Halloween, I’m dressing up as a Republican to answer the doorbell.
I’ll give one rich white kid an entire bag of expensive imported
chocolate and make the other 100 kids split a Tootsie Roll.

I made you an offer. And you don't have to stay away from here forever.
Just ten years.

Harrold wrote:
On 10/25/2014 6:34 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
Sadly, no one has taken me up my offer to leave rec.boats forever for
the bribe I specified.

--
This Halloween, I’m dressing up as a Republican to answer the doorbell.
I’ll give one rich white kid an entire bag of expensive imported
chocolate and make the other 100 kids split a Tootsie Roll.

I made you an offer. And you don't have to stay away from here forever. Just ten years.

Would just be another non truth.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:34:59 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

Sadly, no one has taken me up my offer to leave rec.boats forever for
the bribe I specified.

===

I'm certainly not buying you a scope. In my opinion you might find a
Nikon Monarch to be a better value however.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G5WMQQ

I have one, highly recommended, made a big difference in my accuracy.

On 10/25/14 7:27 PM, Califbill wrote:
Harrold wrote:
On 10/25/2014 6:34 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
Sadly, no one has taken me up my offer to leave rec.boats forever for
the bribe I specified.

--
This Halloween, I’m dressing up as a Republican to answer the doorbell.
I’ll give one rich white kid an entire bag of expensive imported
chocolate and make the other 100 kids split a Tootsie Roll.

I made you an offer. And you don't have to stay away from here forever. Just ten years.

Would just be another non truth.

Naw. It would be a great excuse to leave this right-wing dump. I didn't
see FlaJim's offer, but if it matches my proposal, I accept. As soon as
the actual, new Vortex Viper PST 4x16x50 scope arrives, I am...gone.

Here it is...

http://tinyurl.com/c8f7h44
MOA reticle

Of course, I don't believe for a moment FlaJim will make good on his
offer.

On 10/25/14 7:48 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:34:59 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 10/25/14 6:31 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Why does it have to be a religious holiday?

Aren't we really just talking about a day off?

I am surprised you are so concerned about Thanksgiving anyway. Isn't
that just celebrating our colonization of North America and subsequent
conquest of the native Americans?

I like Thanksgiving because it gives American workers a day off with
their families which, in this backwards country, is something for which
to be thankful.

On 10/25/14 8:31 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:34:59 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

Sadly, no one has taken me up my offer to leave rec.boats forever for
the bribe I specified.

===

I'm certainly not buying you a scope. In my opinion you might find a
Nikon Monarch to be a better value however.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G5WMQQ

I have one, highly recommended, made a big difference in my accuracy.

I have one of those on my S&W AR15-21. The Vortex is for a different rifle.

As for the bribe, why, it's just a way to give you right-wingers what
you want...a newsgroup with no one around to disagree with your bull****.

Harrold wrote:
[...]

Why not?

The dumbing down of 'Merica... F*O*A*D General 8 March 26th 14 07:19 AM
Ahhh, 'Merica... F*O*A*D General 43 March 16th 14 02:25 AM
Merica jps General 7 February 28th 13 03:31 PM
Why Merica is going broke with Obama Canuck57[_9_] General 49 August 15th 11 08:41 PM