Default Possible good news story......

Maybe Boston will be able to get rid of it's damn ugly WW2 'Duck boats'.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...t_read=1229278
Tim Tim is offline

At Branson Mo. There's a guy that has a fleet of them and gives tours with them. He even trademarked 'ride the ducks!' As his company motto.

I'd love to have one. It'd beat owning a Hummer!
Tim Tim is offline

Actually I'd rather have a DUKW
Tim Tim is offline

Greg you're probably right. Of course theyd need a lot of updates. But I was thinking of driving it on the road mostly. But a splash in lake Carlyle would be a crowd pleaser!

But I don't think you could ski behind one very well..,

wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:29:07 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Actually I'd rather have a DUKW

They might be OK in a fresh water environment but they have to be a
maintenance nightmare in salt water. There is just way to much
rotating machinery in the water.
I think the military assumed they would be blown up long before they
had time to rust up.

They were figured to be short lived. Was interesting about the design. I
think it was yacht designer Steven's who designed the DUKW. Decided on a
deuce and a half army truck as they were very common and coming off the GM
assembly line. Was only like 60 days from inception to design to
prototype. What sold the military on them was a rescue of a floundering
ship crew through the surf in Maine or thereabouts. When the surf rescue
could not get out.

BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

Maybe Boston will be able to get rid of it's damn ugly WW2 'Duck boats'.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...t_read=1229278

They made over 21,000 of the Duck Boats. They may still be server
thousand around for parts.

And why would you call them ugly. They were functionally designed, and
worked well. They had to add an air compressor and a way to auto inflate
the tires. They had to lower pressure for Pacific Island beach landings,
and then inflate for harder ground.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 18:10:20 -0400, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

Maybe Boston will be able to get rid of it's damn ugly WW2 'Duck boats'.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...t_read=1229278

They made over 21,000 of the Duck Boats. They may still be server
thousand around for parts.

There's still a couple running around DC. I passed them a couple weeks ago.

Good News story... True North[_2_] General 8 August 3rd 13 02:53 AM
A 'good news story'! Don White General 2 July 15th 09 03:57 AM
Good news story Don White General 1 July 4th 09 02:43 PM
Good news story D K[_2_] General 0 January 7th 09 01:48 AM
Good News story.. Don White General 6 October 25th 05 01:40 PM