Default No, we don't know...

Joshua Tucker: The following is a guest post from political scientists
Kyle Dropp (Dartmouth College) Joshua D. Kertzer (Harvard University)
and Thomas Zeitzoff (Princeton University).

*****

Since Russian troops first entered the Crimean peninsula in early March,
a series of media polling outlets have asked Americans how they want the
U.S. to respond to the ongoing situation. Although two-thirds of
Americans have reported following the situation at least “somewhat
closely,” most Americans actually know very little about events on the
ground — or even where the ground is.

On March 28-31, 2014, we asked a national sample of 2,066 Americans
(fielded via Survey Sampling International Inc. (SSI), what action they
wanted the U.S. to take in Ukraine, but with a twist: In addition to
measuring standard demographic characteristics and general foreign
policy attitudes, we also asked our survey respondents to locate Ukraine
on a map as part of a larger, ongoing project to study foreign policy
knowledge. We wanted to see where Americans think Ukraine is and to
learn if this knowledge (or lack thereof) is related to their foreign
policy views. We found that only one out of six Americans can find
Ukraine on a map, and that this lack of knowledge is related to
preferences: The farther their guesses were from Ukraine’s actual
location, the more they wanted the U.S. to intervene with military force.

Ukraine: Where is it?

Survey respondents identified Ukraine by clicking on a high-resolution
world map, shown above. We then created a distance metric by comparing
the coordinates they provided with the actual location of Ukraine on the
map. Other scholars, such as Markus Prior, have used pictures to measure
visual knowledge, but unlike many of the traditional open-ended items
political scientists use to measure knowledge, distance enables us to
measure accuracy continuously: People who believe Ukraine is in Eastern
Europe clearly are more informed than those who believe it is in Brazil
or in the Indian Ocean.

About one in six (16 percent) Americans correctly located Ukraine,
clicking somewhere within its borders. Most thought that Ukraine was
located somewhere in Europe or Asia, but the median respondent was about
1,800 miles off — roughly the distance from Chicago to Los Angeles.

http://tinyurl.com/law5ul5

- - - -

My guess is that if you gave Americans an outline map of the "Lower 48"
states in the U.S.A., and asked them to write in the names of the
states, the percentage getting all of them correct would be -maybe- 25%.

"Where's the Ukraine?" "Oh, somewhere near the Yukon, right?"

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:21:16 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

My guess is that if you gave Americans an outline map of the "Lower 48"
states in the U.S.A., and asked them to write in the names of the
states, the percentage getting all of them correct would be -maybe- 25%.

"Where's the Ukraine?" "Oh, somewhere near the Yukon, right?"

===

My guess is that if you gave the average Russian a map and asked them
to locate Huntington, Maryland, they would probably say something
like: "That's down near the ass, isn't it" ?
Banned

MORE CLIP N PASTE GARBAGE BY THE ****.

F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

Teachers with the "Union Label"?
Cut and paste Harry. Did you know where it is located when the **** hit
the rotator? Besides, not in our sphere of influence. Let Europe handle
it!

On 4/7/14, 9:38 PM, Califbill wrote:
F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

You can't blame teachers for the ignorance of Boobus Americanus.

And yes, I knew where the Ukraine was before it popped into the news
recently. I also can point out the locations of Armenia, Azerbaijan,
Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldava, and Russia. I
might be able to point out Kazakhstan, but I'd probably trip over the
locations of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.

F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

No surprise there. Krause is a German name, after all.

F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

Hell yes, we can blame teachers! Why are the teachers passing dumbos?
Where is the standing up for the kids and quality product?

On 4/8/14, 1:05 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 06:33:21 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 4/8/14, 1:59 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:21:16 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

"Where's the Ukraine?" "Oh, somewhere near the Yukon, right?"

That public school education I guess.

Americans are "suspicious" of intellectually based education and
pursuits, and for many, if it isn't job-related, then the question
arises, "why teach it." After all, knowing the boundaries of the nations
that make up former Soviet Russia isn't going to get you into the Army
or that job assembling electronic widgets.

I mean, why study history, geographic, language, et cetera. They're just
liberal arts pursuits, eh?

I bet 90% of the teachers could not get more than half of the former
Soviet states right on a map.
Most would not even be able to point out all of the western European
countries.

I can't speak to the educational and intellectual attainments of today's
classroom teachers, since I have no direct contact with large groups of
them, I don't have any school-aged children, and I don't know what is
taught or how it is taught in the public schools.

If your posit is correct, then it just proves my original point, about
the lack of support for intellectual pursuits. I suspect a goodly number
of the few remaining posters in rec.boats couldn't write in the names of
the lower 48 states and the state capitals on an outline map of the USA.
They might be able to point out Alaska, but probably think its capital
is Wasilla.