Default Steam, we want steam...

http://tinyurl.com/l44f5gb

I believe this is part of a 19th Century steam engine. It decorates the
lawn of a nearby property. There are still working farms around here,
but if it is a steam engine, I can't imagine what it was used for 100
years ago, at least on a farm. Perhaps it powered a sawmill?

Anyway, it is an interesting piece of gear.

On 2/20/14, 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:05:31 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/l44f5gb

I believe this is part of a 19th Century steam engine. It decorates the
lawn of a nearby property. There are still working farms around here,
but if it is a steam engine, I can't imagine what it was used for 100
years ago, at least on a farm. Perhaps it powered a sawmill?

Anyway, it is an interesting piece of gear.

That may be possible. I imagine they had small saw mills down there
100 years ago.. The dual pulleys indicates it may have been the
central power plant for multiple machines.

This is a steam engine that ran a saw mill at Camp 18 in Oregon

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...m%20Engine.jpg

This is the kind of saw it might have run

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...band%20saw.jpg

That saw is one scary looking bit. I wonder how many human appendages it
removed over its lifetime.

On 2/20/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:

This is a steam engine that ran a saw mill at Camp 18 in Oregon

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...m%20Engine.jpg

This is the kind of saw it might have run

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...band%20saw.jpg

Great pancakes there... just down the road a bit.

wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:11:13 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 2/20/14, 2:05 PM, wrote:
[...]

Logging has always been way up on the list of dangerous occupations.
It is a whole lot better now than it was but they still get killed or
severely injured at scary rates. It makes "cop" and "fireman" look
like being a librarian.

I have a friend who used to be a logger. Is about 40 years old. Says he
has broke most bones in his body over the years he climbed trees and cut
trees. Sells hot tubs now.

Old Pacific steam schooner down and about gone joevan[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 June 7th 07 05:44 PM
Steam from Exhaust... ToneJohn General 3 September 25th 05 09:43 PM
Steam box Eide Boat Building 7 November 18th 03 12:55 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM
Steam in exhaust Grampa Bob General 3 July 21st 03 01:25 PM