BoatBanter.com

-   -   Steam, we want steam... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/160170-steam-we-want-steam.html)

F*O*A*D February 20th 14 06:05 PM

Steam, we want steam...

http://tinyurl.com/l44f5gb

I believe this is part of a 19th Century steam engine. It decorates the
lawn of a nearby property. There are still working farms around here,
but if it is a steam engine, I can't imagine what it was used for 100
years ago, at least on a farm. Perhaps it powered a sawmill?

Anyway, it is an interesting piece of gear.

F*O*A*D February 20th 14 07:11 PM

Steam, we want steam...

On 2/20/14, 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:05:31 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/l44f5gb

I believe this is part of a 19th Century steam engine. It decorates the
lawn of a nearby property. There are still working farms around here,
but if it is a steam engine, I can't imagine what it was used for 100
years ago, at least on a farm. Perhaps it powered a sawmill?

Anyway, it is an interesting piece of gear.

That may be possible. I imagine they had small saw mills down there
100 years ago.. The dual pulleys indicates it may have been the
central power plant for multiple machines.

This is a steam engine that ran a saw mill at Camp 18 in Oregon

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...m%20Engine.jpg

This is the kind of saw it might have run

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...band%20saw.jpg

That saw is one scary looking bit. I wonder how many human appendages it
removed over its lifetime.

thumper February 21st 14 02:55 AM

Steam, we want steam...

On 2/20/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:

This is a steam engine that ran a saw mill at Camp 18 in Oregon

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...m%20Engine.jpg

This is the kind of saw it might have run

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Pac%...band%20saw.jpg

Great pancakes there... just down the road a bit.

Califbill February 21st 14 07:50 AM

Steam, we want steam...

wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:11:13 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 2/20/14, 2:05 PM, wrote:
[...]

Logging has always been way up on the list of dangerous occupations.
It is a whole lot better now than it was but they still get killed or
severely injured at scary rates. It makes "cop" and "fireman" look
like being a librarian.

I have a friend who used to be a logger. Is about 40 years old. Says he
has broke most bones in his body over the years he climbed trees and cut
trees. Sells hot tubs now.