Default Well, of course...

On 2/17/2014 11:17 AM, KC wrote:
On 2/17/2014 10:57 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/17/2014 10:30 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 2/17/14, 10:21 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/17/2014 10:13 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
1 in 4 Americans think the sun revolves around Earth

This one might be one of the most disturbing stories you'll hear all
day. Does the sun revolve around the Earth, or does the Earth revolve
around the sun?

The National Science Foundation posed this question to 2,200 Americans
back in 2012. The results were published Friday and 26 percent of
people
surveyed believe the sun moves around the Earth. (Via Discovery)

"The foundation says that's frightening, claiming that is why this
nation needs more money invested in teaching science in school." (Via
KUSI)

The survey is conducted every few years to monitor America's
educational
progress. But maybe you don't think 26 percent is too much to be
worried
about. (Via National Science Foundation)

Well, lets bring you back down to Earth, aka what some believe is the
center of the universe. CNET writes, about "52 percent of Americans
had
no idea that humans evolved from animal species. This may be the 52
percent of people who believe that mayonnaise comes from the mayo
plant."

Back to the whole Earth-sun thing, those who answered the question
wrong
are more than late to the game — the first notion of Heliocentrism was
around the third century B.C.

http://tinyurl.com/ma9sl8a

- - -
The idea that the sun revolves around the earth is a deeply religious
concept...

or maybe too many liberal arts courses and not enough science and
technology. :-)

Once again, the liberal arts include all sorts of science and math
classes and, among them, astronomy.

The younger of my daughter's two boys (Ben) is 14 years old. He's a
smart kid, very interested in science and technology related subjects.
During a recent parent/teacher conference his science teacher told my
daughter that he's "weird", but didn't mean it in a derogatory sense.
The teacher explained that Ben is very quiet, doesn't ask many questions
or participate much in classroom discussions but he aces or near aces
every test and exam.

We were just talking last night about this so I challenged Ben with the
same question about riding a bicycle or motorcycle in a straight line at
a speed of about 20 mph and applying slight forward pressure on one of
the handlebars. That prompted quite a discussion (as it did here) but
he got the principle fairly quickly. So, to get him into some
classroom discussion in school, I suggested that he ask his science
teacher the same question when they go back to school after February
vacation. He can't wait. This should be interesting.

Well, the the 20 mph part might make things easier to compare I must
admit.. Tell him to also ask his teacher about using weight shift
instead of the bars to make the same maneuvers...

Ummm... no. I don't think I will. As before, it has nothing to do with
the question.

KC KC is offline

On 2/17/2014 11:27 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/17/2014 11:17 AM, KC wrote:
[...]

Have him ask his teacher if it does.. Unless you are just unwilling to
expand.

The quote I read is "you can lean the bike by countersteering, or you
can countersteer to lean the bike.... Why is is so unrelated that you
can't even have the kid ask? Unless... um... forget it...

On 2/17/2014 11:17 AM, KC wrote:
[...]

For the last time Scott ... and this *is* the last time ... The
question is *NOT* "how do you lean a bike"?
KC KC is offline

On 2/17/2014 11:17 AM, KC wrote:
[...]

Yeah, cause they are not related at all... But hey, you are the boss

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:13:58 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

1 in 4 Americans think the sun revolves around Earth

You should get Don to add 'anti-religious' to his 'fixation' list.

On 2/17/2014 11:17 AM, KC wrote:
[...]

BTW Scott, you don't have to call me names by email. You can do it right here.

On 2/17/14, 11:50 AM, wrote:
[...]

I would not leap to the conclusion that this is a religious thing
without having more information about other answers on the survey (can
they name the president or which continent we live on) and whether
these people came from a religious education or simply a product of
the horrible public schools we have in most places,

You are the one doing the leaping. I said the "idea" was deeply
religious, and it is. It was part of religious teaching for thousands of
years via various religions. Whether today's religions teach it is
something I don't know.

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 11:50:57 -0500, wrote:

[...]

He forgot to mention that Americans did better than Europeans on this question.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind1...pter-7/c07.pdf