Amanda

Default Racing tactics with GPS - help please.

Hi

I have the opportunity to crew on a racing yacht as tactitician and
would like to learn more about racing with a GPS. Apart from the
obvious (distance and bearing to the next mark) what other uses can a
GPS be put to in yacht racing?

I've raced dinghies and cruised yachts so I'm familiar with general
tactics and how to use GPS, but I need to put the two together.

Thanks for any help.

A.
A. Diesel Vents

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:11:23 +0000 (UTC), Amanda
wrote:

Hi

I have the opportunity to crew on a racing yacht as tactitician and
would like to learn more about racing with a GPS. Apart from the
obvious (distance and bearing to the next mark) what other uses can a
GPS be put to in yacht racing?

Speed over the ground might be an interesting statistic. It's
generally a different number than speed through the water. If there's
a current it should show up this way, and perhaps you could find a way
to either get out of it, or into it, depending on which works best for
the given situation.
Jeff Richards

VMG - velocity made good towards a waypoint. That will tell you whether
pinching (and slowing) or freeing (for speed) will get you to the windward
mark quicker, or exactly what course on a downwind gybe gets you to the lee
mark quickest. You will need a 'relative bearing' (angle off the bow, or
pelorus) device to tell you when to tack or gybe onto the equivalent course
for the mark. You will need to get all the marks as waypoints, so this may
mean visiting each mark and entering the waypoint before the start.

If you can link the GPS to boat speed and direction then it can calculate
tide set and rate, or you can do it manually if they can't be electronically
connected.

The other useful feature is to be able to save the course sailed for later
analysis, but general purpose GPS software doesn't usually provide decent
analysis tools, so you may have to write your own. You should be able to
replay the whole race or selected parts, identifying where you gained or
lost ground and perhaps working out why.
--
Jeff Richards

"Amanda" wrote in message
Hi

I have the opportunity to crew on a racing yacht as tactitician and
would like to learn more about racing with a GPS. Apart from the
obvious (distance and bearing to the next mark) what other uses can a
GPS be put to in yacht racing?

I've raced dinghies and cruised yachts so I'm familiar with general
tactics and how to use GPS, but I need to put the two together.

Thanks for any help.

A.

Norm Taylor

It is also usefull to have a "voyage made good" readout. Not all GPS's have
it, and you can also obtain it from wind instruments if you have them. It
may be necessary to hook the GPS into the instrument system. I don't have
wind instruments, so I can't say much more about it.

Cheers

wrote:

Hi

I have the opportunity to crew on a racing yacht as tactitician and
would like to learn more about racing with a GPS. Apart from the
obvious (distance and bearing to the next mark) what other uses can a
GPS be put to in yacht racing?

Speed over the ground might be an interesting statistic. It's
generally a different number than speed through the water. If there's
a current it should show up this way, and perhaps you could find a way
to either get out of it, or into it, depending on which works best for
the given situation.

Matt O'Toole

Jeff Richards wrote:

[...]

How do you mean, Jeff? I find that Maptech, etc., make this pretty clear. With
my path drawn on the screen, I can see exactly what was going on, where I gained
or lost ground, etc., better than ever before. A picture is worth a thousand
spreadsheets!

PC-based navigation programs all have their warts. In fact most of them are
pretty bad in one way or another. But for the most part they do a good job
telling you what you need to know.

However, I'm not familiar with the software/firmware in most self-contained GPS
units.

Matt O.

Jeff Richards

By 'general purpose" I was referring to the features built in to the typical
GPS unit. However, even software like MapTech is not pushing the bounds of
the analysis that's available. Try to find some details of the software
that America's Cup racing boats use, and you'll be amazed. And it's not
difficult to do. For instance, it should be possible to select any part of
a track and have VMG to any nominated point plotted as a line graph. This
means that you can see, for a course that may have included several tacks,
exactly when you were making best time to the mark. Marchaj introduced the
polar performance diagram in the sixties, when sophisticated additional
equipment had to be created to collect the data - now it's all available
from GPS and standard instruments, but I don't know any GPS software that
can produce a polar diagram.
--

Jeff Richards wrote:

[...]

Matt O'Toole

Jeff Richards wrote:

By 'general purpose" I was referring to the features built in to the
typical GPS unit. However, even software like MapTech is not pushing
the bounds of the analysis that's available. Try to find some
details of the software that America's Cup racing boats use, and
you'll be amazed. And it's not difficult to do.

To find out the details of this software, or to develop it? I'd love to see
what they're using! As far as developing it goes...

For instance, it
should be possible to select any part of a track and have VMG to any
nominated point plotted as a line graph. This means that you can see,
for a course that may have included several tacks, exactly when you
were making best time to the mark. Marchaj introduced the polar
performance diagram in the sixties, when sophisticated additional
equipment had to be created to collect the data - now it's all
available from GPS and standard instruments, but I don't know any GPS
software that can produce a polar diagram.

You're right, none of this would be difficult to do. In fact I've toyed with it
as a programming exercise, reading the NMEA string output from the GPS unit, and
drawing a track on a graph. All you have to do is stuff this info into a
database, along with your instruments' output if you want, then you can slice
and dice it however you want. Actually, the biggest obstacle I could see to
developing navigation software is that the file formats for charts are
proprietary, so you have to pay royalties to use them. (A pox on whomever in
government made that deal.)

I'm quite surprised no one has made polar charts a nav software feature -- this
is a no-brainer for racers, or wannabe racers.

BTW, the best personal navigation program is still Maptech 1.0 for DOS! Best
interface and screen design, features, etc. It's just so much more elegant than
the latest stuff, even if it doesn't do as much. It ran better/faster on a 486
than the new stuff does on the latest/greatest. Unfortunately, the charts are
no longer available for it, and it only works at 640x480 screen size. To steal
the words of an old sage, it's amazing how much we've advanced without
improving.

Matt O.

Jeff Richards wrote:

[...]

Jeff Richards

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
snip
Actually, the biggest obstacle I could see to
developing navigation software is that the file formats for charts are
proprietary, so you have to pay royalties to use them. (A pox on whomever
in
government made that deal.)

It depends what detail you need. Coastal vector outline data is available
for free at very high resolution, and can be converted to formats that are
easy to edit using simple interactive graphical editors. It can be combined
with object data, such as buoys and lights, to provide a simple
representation that is perfectly adequate for racing analysis. Although I
also use scanned chart images, I actually find the outline data provides a
more useful display, especially as I always use the chart as the primary
navigation tool. For an example of what can be done with this public-domain
data, see
http://www.users.bigpond.com/msn/jrichard/Sample.htm (third image down).
--
Jeff Richards

Matt O'Toole

Jeff Richards wrote:

[...]

Cool. Vector does seem the way to go. I'll have to look into this some more.
Maybe this fall -- I'm off sailing for a couple of months, tomorrow morning!
Cheers, and happy sailing!

Matt O.