Default Mac computers and Apple

A few weeks ago I purchased a 27" iMac for Mrs.E. as an early Christmas
gift. This was after months of "hints" being dropped after she saw my
daughter's iMac.

Mrs.E. isn't stupid. Three days ago she reciprocated and bought another
iMac for me ... this one a 21.5" but with the upgraded memory, cpu and
video driver. I know she figures that I'll dive into it, figure it all
out and then be able to support her in the use of hers.

I've come to realize that Mac computers are ideal for those who:

1. Have and regularly use an iPhone and or iPad or:
2. Have never used PCs and Windows and therefore have not been
indoctrinated in the Microsoft mindset.

I've been using PCs and Windows for so many years that making the
transition is not as easy as I thought it would be. I am making
progress but simple tasks that I can do in minutes on a PC like loading
third party software isn't quite the same on the iMac.

Examples that I am learning: (this probably sounds stupid to many)

Software for a PC is usually called a "program" and typically is
installed in the Programs folder.

Software for a Mac is called an "application". There is no "program"
folder. It took me over an hour last night to install some music
editing software and make it work on the iMac because I didn't know you
had to drag it and any plug-ins associated with it from the download
place to the "applications" page. Took me 15 minutes just to figure out
where *that* was.

And passwords. Holy Crap! Apple has passwords for everything ...
iTunes, iCloud, their Apple Store, and for the computer itself. I have
an account for iTunes that I used on the PCs. Think I could make it
work on the Mac? Seems like everything you do on the Mac results in a
request to enter your password. Problem is, I don't know *which* of the
several passwords it wants. I enter one and the stupid box starts
shaking, meaning I put the wrong one in.

I admit, once you begin to understand the architecture of the Mac, it is
very simple, so simple that Apple doesn't provide much in the form of
instructional information. Again, I can see that if you never used PCs
and Windows, it would be very intuitive. My problem is I have Windows
burned into my brain.

The jury is still out.

On 12/24/13, 7:44 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

It took me a few weeks of steady use and lots of phone calls and a few
visits to the Apple store to transition from Windows to OS X.

Application software pretty much is called application software or
applications on both PCs and MACs. There is a program folder. It is
called "Applications". It can be a Place or a Favorite, depending on
whether you are using the included Finder app or a third party app, such
as Path Finder, which is what I use.

Most of us use the same password for iTunes, iCloud, the Apple store, et
cetera, and a different password for the computer itself. That way, you
only have two passwords to deal with. You can change these passwords to
consolidate them.

There is plenty of instructional info on the MAC operating system. The
problem is that Apple doesn't really provide a manual, so you have to
either buy yourself a third party manual or you have to search Apple's
site on line for what you need, or...just call the Applecare line with a
list of questions, which is what I did when I got started with OS X.

Have you plumbed the Utilities subfolder in the Applications folder?
That'll be fine the first time.

There are plenty of people who can help you. In my experience, they all
speak 'Merikan English.

--
Religion: together we can find the cure.

On 12/24/2013 8:02 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
[...]

Well, I am somewhat relieved to know I am not the only person in the
world who is going through a "transition" of thought. I tend to be a
stubborn SOB and when something isn't working like it should I get
tenacious in trying to determine why. Last night I gave up on trying to
install the music editing program ... err ... "application" and went to
bed. Couldn't sleep though. Had to get up at 2am and try again.

Usually I visit one of the many Apple forums after doing a google on
whatever issue I am trying to resolve. So far, I've been able to find
the answers. It's just a different way of organizing files. I've
noticed that programs ... err .. "applications" that come directly from
Apple install and run with no problem or intervention on the user's
part. The problem I had was installing third party .. "apps" that are
designed for a Mac but don't automatically install in the program or
apps area.

Obviously, I hear the term "apps" everyday. Seems like there are apps
for everything. Yesterday I was taking a ride up to the guitar shop and
stopped at Dunkin' Donuts to pick up a couple of coffees. I watched as
the girl in the car ahead of me at the drive up window held her cell
phone up to the attendant who used a scanning device to read whatever
was displayed on the phone. I asked the attendant what *that* was all
about. It's an "app" that allows you to purchase from Dunkin' Donuts
from a pre-paid account.

In past experiences with Windows, I never really heard of a program
being called an "application". They were always software programs to
me. Demonstrates how out of touch with this stuff I've been.

On 12/24/13, 8:25 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

I actually "gave up" on learning the Apple OS the first time I was
exposed to it. A client of mine in 2000 was an "Apple shop," and didn't
have a Windows PC in the building. I was given an office to use when I
was on site editing deliverables. The office was equipped with a brand
new Apple laptop. It drove me nuts. I ended up bringing my own Windows
laptop with me to do work on and then emailing the deliverables through
the client's system as WORD files, which everyone could use.

In 2008, when my Windows laptop was nearing the end of its useful life
for me, I sold it and bought an Apple laptop and tried anew. I *had* to
learn the Apple OS, so I did. Five years later, I still find some of the
"Apple way" obtuse compared to Windows, but, all in all, I think the
Apple OS is far superior in many ways to Windows. It sure as hell is
steadier, too.

On 12/24/2013 7:44 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

You need to start visiting the Apple Genius(god) for spiritual guidance.
That Mrs E is a smart cookie. She knows that you don't accept mysteries.

--
Americans deserve better.

On 12/24/2013 8:12 AM, Hank© wrote:
[...]

I'll tell you one thing. Don't believe any Mac enthusiast who says "a
Mac never crashes".

Maybe it's not a full bore, screen of death "Crash" but I've locked up
both iMacs a couple of times. Similar to the Windows, "program not
responding" thing.

I was trying to set up network file sharing so I could transfer some
files from my PC laptop to the iMac. Finally got it so I could access
the PC files, but only the ones stored in the "Public" folder. If I
tried going anywhere else, the iMac stopped responding and I'd have to
do a "force quit". Still working on that one.

On 12/24/2013 8:38 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

That's kinda the way it's supposed to work. Anything you want to share
has to be put in a folder with a shared attribute. I'm not a fan of
doing that. Copying to a USB hard drive makes the files portable and
easy to transfer to another device. I don't know if Mac and PC file
structure is compatible though. I suspect some are and some aren't.

--
Americans deserve better.

On 12/24/2013 9:11 AM, Hank© wrote:
[...]

Actually, I've used "Dropbox" for years. 2 Gb of free storage and
useful when you want to get a file from your computer at home or work at
a remote location. You just have to remember to put the file in the
Dropbox.

I just installed Dropbox on the iMac. Works fine.

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:38:09 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Place I work built a new building, and decided that there would be no PCs in the conference rooms, instead folks would bring their laptops and hookup to the flat panels via HDMI. Unfortunately, some older laptops had just VGA, some had HDMI, and some just have display ports (HPs). Now we need adapter cables, and some laptops just wouldn't output the required resolution.

After a few weeks of wasted time and frustration, the decision was to put Apple Mac Mini's in each conference room. Great, except... we're a PC shop, with just a handful of people having Macs. More frustration and wasted time.

After having a chance now to use one, I don't see any positives to them. Different, cool looking, but no better. Macs? Meh.

On 12/24/2013 9:48 AM, wrote:

[...]

Yup. Like I mentioned before, the jury is still out in my mind. I'll
give it some more time and effort to see what the big deal is other than
maybe a social status thing about being a "Mac" person. That is
meaningless to me.

Both of my PC laptops have HDMI outputs built into them. The new iMacs
don't. The have four USB ports, a headphone jack and something called a
"Thunderbolt" port that I have no clue what it would be used for.

The iMacs don't even have a CD/DVD disk drive nor a audio line input.
Like someone mentioned here, I am starting to get the feeling that an
iMac is nothing more than an expensive iPhone on steroids.

It *does* have a phenomenal display however.

Why I buy Apple computers X ` Man[_3_] General 18 December 12th 11 08:48 PM
Apple Prepares to Crush Apple Store Unions Ombudsman General 3 November 10th 11 01:12 AM
Computers Steve B[_2_] General 37 January 1st 10 11:43 PM
Speaking of computers ... Eisboch General 12 October 31st 07 02:57 AM
Computers in the Classroom Gilligan ASA 0 December 8th 04 03:13 AM