Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Mac computers and Apple

A few weeks ago I purchased a 27" iMac for Mrs.E. as an early Christmas
gift. This was after months of "hints" being dropped after she saw my
daughter's iMac.

Mrs.E. isn't stupid. Three days ago she reciprocated and bought another
iMac for me ... this one a 21.5" but with the upgraded memory, cpu and
video driver. I know she figures that I'll dive into it, figure it all
out and then be able to support her in the use of hers.

I've come to realize that Mac computers are ideal for those who:

1. Have and regularly use an iPhone and or iPad or:
2. Have never used PCs and Windows and therefore have not been
indoctrinated in the Microsoft mindset.

I've been using PCs and Windows for so many years that making the
transition is not as easy as I thought it would be. I am making
progress but simple tasks that I can do in minutes on a PC like loading
third party software isn't quite the same on the iMac.

Examples that I am learning: (this probably sounds stupid to many)

Software for a PC is usually called a "program" and typically is
installed in the Programs folder.

Software for a Mac is called an "application". There is no "program"
folder. It took me over an hour last night to install some music
editing software and make it work on the iMac because I didn't know you
had to drag it and any plug-ins associated with it from the download
place to the "applications" page. Took me 15 minutes just to figure out
where *that* was.

And passwords. Holy Crap! Apple has passwords for everything ...
iTunes, iCloud, their Apple Store, and for the computer itself. I have
an account for iTunes that I used on the PCs. Think I could make it
work on the Mac? Seems like everything you do on the Mac results in a
request to enter your password. Problem is, I don't know *which* of the
several passwords it wants. I enter one and the stupid box starts
shaking, meaning I put the wrong one in.

I admit, once you begin to understand the architecture of the Mac, it is
very simple, so simple that Apple doesn't provide much in the form of
instructional information. Again, I can see that if you never used PCs
and Windows, it would be very intuitive. My problem is I have Windows
burned into my brain.

The jury is still out.

Why I buy Apple computers X ` Man[_3_] General 18 December 12th 11 08:48 PM
Apple Prepares to Crush Apple Store Unions Ombudsman General 3 November 10th 11 01:12 AM
Computers Steve B[_2_] General 37 January 1st 10 11:43 PM
Speaking of computers ... Eisboch General 12 October 31st 07 02:57 AM
Computers in the Classroom Gilligan ASA 0 December 8th 04 03:13 AM