Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Captain Ed

Charlemagne wrote:
On 11/12/2013 1:17 PM, John H wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:24:47 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:05:43 -0500, Hank©
wrote:

On 11/12/2013 12:02 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:56:23 -0500, Hank©
wrote:

On 11/12/2013 10:46 AM,
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:44:52 -0500, Hank©
wrote:

This is the hook I made for snagging stuff in the water.
It is a 7/16" SS bolt, head cut off, epoxied into a hoe handle and
bent into a hook

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Boat%20hook.jpg

What are you trying to snag that a 1/4" hook couldn't handle?

Hard to say, anything I find floating that shouldn't be there.

You're no fun to joke around with. ;-)

I could say some people might use this to move crab pots out of the
channel to a safer place ....... but that would be wrong ;-)

Yes it would and it could get you shot.

I understand but that would be a stupid crabber.

The alternative is losing the pot altogether, either by prop or knife.

A guy with no sense of humor about it is one who had to cut the line
off the prop or even the whole trap after it "coned" over the prop..

Some of the people here simply cut the float lines, others pull the
pot and throw it in the mangroves. The really vindictive smash it flat
first.

People being kind simply move it a few feet.

I have had the conversation more than once. Some guys say thanks, it
must have drifted. Others are dicks about it and I leave them to the
mercy of guys who do not have as much sympathy for the working
waterman as I have.

The really, really, really vindictive steal the crabs and *then* smash
the pot, especially if the
lines are wrapped around the prop.

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!

And that last crab dinner was tainted by the ruined prop I take it

Not even ruining a prop. Gets dangerous when you are in the ocean and a
wrapped pot. Friend wrapped up a sanded in pot. (Stuck in bottom) in a
14' whaler. Wave caught them just right and flipped the boat. Luckily a
commercial crabber saw them riding the bottom of the boat, just at dusk. I
have caught floating lines a couple times. Idiots use floating poly line
and add no weights to sink it from the buoy. Worse one was near Pt.
Bonita, north side outside the Golden Gate. Can get really knarly. At
least 70' of line floating. I was giving the buoy 50' of clearance and
still tangled. Had to pull the pot, as the drift was brisk. Only undersize
crab in pot. I did zip tie the extra line for the idiot.

The captain says Drifter[_2_] General 12 October 20th 11 01:16 AM
O Captain! Gilligan ASA 1 November 17th 06 09:06 PM
Bob for Captain of asa Joe ASA 3 October 14th 05 12:58 AM
I am still your Captain! Bobsprit ASA 33 April 8th 04 09:53 AM