Default Do I need this?

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 8/26/13 4:53 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

I wouldn't pay anything extra for a laser. If it comes standard
with
the gun, fine, but I wouldn't go searching for a laser equipped
handgun
based on that feature alone.

I'm sorry, but I find most of this entire discussion hilarious. Red
point lasers are not intended to *illuminate* a target, if you mean by
that lighting it up. They are to tell you if you are pointing at your
human target, and not to the left or right of or above your target.

--------------------------------

I don't practice shooting using human targets.

On 8/26/2013 5:46 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 8/26/13 4:53 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 00:54:49 -0400, wrote:

That looks like the one and he has the laser in the grip.

Does he like it? Does he find he laser site helpful? I've seen only one
in use at a range, and it
magnified the 'shaking' so much the individual aiming the weapon finally
turned it off. I think he
was just embarrassed.

John (Gun Nut) H.

-----------------------------------

Based on the limited experience I've had, I think the lasers installed
in handguns are a total waste of time. Unless you shoot indoors at a
somewhat darkened range, they aren't strong enough to illuminate the
target. I do most of my range shooting at an outdoor range and the
lasers are totally worthless. The Walther PPK and the S&W Bodyguard
both have lasers. Can't see them outdoors at 25 yards. In fact, I
can't see them even at 10 yards outside in sunlight.

They work ok in the house but unless there's an intruder, what's the
point? And if there was ever a life threatening confrontation with an
intruder, it's going to be a relatively close range and I am not going
to worry about taking the time to turn the stupid laser on.

The only firearm I have that has a laser strong enough to see outdoors
at a reasonable range is the one installed in the Ruger 10/22 rifle that
I recently purchased. But, I still don't bother using it. It's a
stronger laser but the battery life is limited. I mounted a scope on
the rifle and, after boresighting and adjusting the laser, I used it to
adjust and calibrate the scope. Haven't used it since.

I wouldn't pay anything extra for a laser. If it comes standard with
the gun, fine, but I wouldn't go searching for a laser equipped handgun
based on that feature alone.

I'm sorry, but I find most of this entire discussion hilarious. Red
point lasers are not intended to *illuminate* a target, if you mean by
that lighting it up. They are to tell you if you are pointing at your
human target, and not to the left or right of or above your target.

On a handgun, if you are shooting targets, a nice red dot sight like
this one...

http://tinyurl.com/nl8dkut

....from Burris is pretty good.

With the right red dot sight, a good shooter with steady hands can place
his rounds precisely. The red dot is "projected" within the sight, not
onto the target. A good target pistol will easily accommodate a rail on
which you can mount a red dot sight.

You obviously have reading difficulties. The red spot indicates where
the bullet is going. No one said otherwise.

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, the laser 'illuminates' the target. It illuminates the spot on the forehead or chest or balls
where one desires the round to land.

If I wanted to illuminate the entire person, I'd use a flashlight or turn on the overheads.

You need to do a little military type reading and learn how words are used.

John (Gun Nut) H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

On 8/26/2013 6:00 PM, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Try a green laser

One friend of mine says "the guys shooting you can use it to pinpoint
you", but that assumes you are in a "gunfight". I suspect if I carried a
weapon and pulled it, whatever happened would be over quite quickly.
That being said. There is also the intimidation factor...

The rack of a shotgun is probably the most recognizable sound out there
as far as deterrent is concerned .. If a bad guy, or a good guy for that
matter hears that sound he knows he has met resistance, and possibly
someone has just gotten the jump, and it's time to get the hell out of
there if you can or lay down and hope the guy doesn't hit the bang
switch (from a previous post. Similarly, if that guy sees a red dot
on his shirt, or even the trace of the laser after the first volley,
unless he is also familiar with laser clad guns, I assume it would have
a similar intimation effect... It only takes a second of distraction or
second guessing to get the jump on "the bad guy", so I might want that
laser anyway....

wrote:

[...]

------------------------------

I agree the sound of racking a shotgun is probably a strong sound
deterrent.

Don't agree about the laser spot for reasons I've already stated plus
the fact that an intruder probably won't notice the spot on his chest
or head at first, even if you had the time to find the button or
switch and turn it on.

I think a lot of this "what if" talk is bogus anyway. If you woke up
at 2 am with the sound of someone breaking into your house, or
approaching you in your room, there isn't going to be a whole hell of
a lot of time to think about what to do to "scare" the intruder away.
That's why my home defense firearm of choice is the little 38 Special.
It's a simple revolver, ready to fire either in double or single
action mode. No racking of slides, no safeties, no laser. Just
pull the trigger and "bang".

wrote:

[...]

Just make sure that laser is pointed at you before you pull the trigger.

wrote:

I wouldn't pay anything extra for a laser. If it comes standard
with
the gun, fine, but I wouldn't go searching for a laser equipped
handgun based on that feature alone.

Try a green laser

----------------------------------

I still don't get what the point is. As Harry pointed out the laser
is to help determine where the gun is pointed without using the
sights.
This would most likely be in a close range, self defense requirement
where you need to get some rounds off fast and you fire more from the
"ready" without sighting. In that type of situation, who's going to
spend the extra time fumbling for the laser button to turn in on.
Worse yet, only to find your battery is dead. So are you.

A bunch of us went to the range today and practiced shooting without
sighting with targets set up only about 10 feet away.
I think it's important to do this with your primary home defense gun
of choice, because after a while you know instinctively where to hold
and point it, even if you are firing from waist level. Each gun is
different, obviously, so I only use my 38 Chief's Special for this.
It's the gun I'd reach for in the event of a home intruder at night
with ill-will.

On 8/26/2013 2:23 PM, John H wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 00:54:49 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 17:51:10 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:25:28 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:59:27 -0400, John H
wrote:

Beautiful gun. Nice price.

http://tinyurl.com/ls8jvo5

John (Gun Nut) H.

That is a lot of gun to carry.
Kimber does make a nice mini 9mm that my neighbor has. It is $1500 or
so.

I'll check it out. Yup, that may be worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.

http://tinyurl.com/l45sjgb

John (Gun Nut) H.

That looks like the one and he has the laser in the grip.

Does he like it? Does he find he laser site helpful? I've seen only one in use at a range, and it
magnified the 'shaking' so much the individual aiming the weapon finally turned it off. I think he
was just embarrassed.

John (Gun Nut) H.

I should think it would help demonstrate why there might be inconsistant
shot patterns.