paul m escude

Default macgregor mast bend

i have a macgregor 26 d, 1989 model. how much bend do i need in the mast?

notme

go to sailnet.com and subscribe to the macgregor list in the disscussion
lists area and ask there. There are a ton of very helpful people there that
know about Macs

"paul m escude" wrote in message
i have a macgregor 26 d, 1989 model. how much bend do i need in the mast?

Bruce Woodburn

"paul m escude" wrote in message
i have a macgregor 26 d, 1989 model. how much bend do i need in the mast?

Answer: a bit. But you need a boom vang and a traveler more. My stock Mac26
had a nasty twist in the main that was cured with the traveler. A little
mast bend will flatten the top of the main (but won't help you until the
boom is under control). I tighten up the forestay turnbuckle an inch more
than slack and it works OK.

Other tuning tips:

The tiller has a nasty habit of toggling one way or the other if the rudder
is too far down. If it's not down far enough the tiller is very stiff. The
difference between the two is very small. I put a SS bushing on the bolt
that acts as a stop for the rudder, which moved the bottom of the rudder aft
3/4". This seemed just right. With a bungee around the tiller the boat is
virtually self steering.

The trim is very sensitive to centerboard position. Don't put the board all
the way down unless beating to windward in very light air. If you have
weatherhelm, the board is too far down. I usually sail with it 1/4 to 1/3
down. I lead a line from the centre board haul-up to a cam cleat on the edge
of the companionway so I can tweak the board from the cockpit.

Are you a new owner?

Bruce