Joao Penha-Lopes

Default Steel hull - electrical ground

Hello everybody,
I have just upgraded from a GRP 30ft sloop to a steel hull 40ft sloop.
Everything is in excellent state except for the electrical wiring which will
certainly consume most of my winter weekends....

My main worry before everything else is to plan for electrical grounding and
I have read the most opposite opinions.

Can somebody share his experience with me, please ?

Cheers
Joao

Gil G.

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:17:08 +0100, "Joao Penha-Lopes"
wrote:

My main worry before everything else is to plan for electrical grounding and
I have read the most opposite opinions.

I think you're NOT supposed to ground anything to the hull...
everything should be isolated, even the engine from the hull.

Gil.
--
http://planenews.com

Bruce Woodburn

Electrolysis is bad stuff. Those stories you may have heard of spade rudders
and props dropping off after their respective shafts corroded through?
They're true.

Electrical grounding and isolation is complicated but understandable and
manageable. I recommend Nigel Calder "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical
Manual". Or a GRP boat with an outboard and no through-hulls.... ;)

Bruce