Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Yet another reason...

....why we can't have nice things in this country.

Assault rifle with thermal scope stolen from car of top Utah gun lobbyist
By David Edwards

Police in Cottonwood Heights are searching for an assault rifle that was
stolen Wednesday from the vehicle of a top Utah gun lobbyist, who called
for more guns in schools after the shooting deaths of 20 children in
Connecticut last year.

Utah Shooting Sports Council Chairman Clark Aposhian told KSTU that he
was cleaning out his garage and placed the firearm in the back of his
Dodge Magnum station wagon. He said the AR-15 military-style assault
rifle was in a locked case and equipped with a thermal scope for night
vision. Aposhian insisted the gun was not loaded at the time.

“To leave a weapon of that value, an assault rifle, in a car is just
nuts,” Cottonwood Heights Police Department Sgt. Scott Peck observed.

Peck fears that the weapon, which is registered, is on the streets of
Cottonwood Heights.

“We definitely have a concern,” he explained. “There’s lots of them
everywhere and we know there’s another one out there and it’s in the
hands of a thief obviously.”

Alliance for a Better Utah Executive Director Maryann Martindale, who
opposes an Aposhian-backed bill to allow Utah gun owners to conceal
weapons without a permit, said that the lobbyist should have known better.

“It’s pretty shocking, this is a guy whose livelihood is built teaching
conceal and carry permit classes and gun safety,” Martindale pointed out
to KSTU. “He’s someone who’s always talking about what people do and
this is how people carry them and take care of their weapons. I’m a gun
owner, I know where my gun is, it’s got a trigger lock, it’s unloaded
and in a lock box in my house.”

Just days after the mass killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School,
Aposhian told CNN that the Utah Shooting Sports Council was sponsoring
free gun classes for teaches because the answer to school violence was
more guns in the classroom.

“It’s why we put fire extinguishers and medical kits in classrooms,” he
said.

http://tinyurl.com/dx65lph

Yet another reason... X ` Man General 32 October 2nd 11 01:40 AM
Yet another reason to never... hk General 4 May 18th 10 07:14 PM
Yet Another Reason... hk General 1 April 22nd 10 03:02 PM
And this is the reason... Short Wave Sportfishing General 42 November 18th 07 01:14 PM
Another reason Martin Baxter ASA 2 October 3rd 06 07:08 PM