Default About Herring's stupid Chicago assumptions.

* Debunking a silly ?gun rights? talking point: The ?gun rights? brigade
loves to point out that Chicago has strict gun laws but also a high
level of gun deaths, as if this undermines the case for federal action.
But as this New York Times article details, the reality is that many of
the guns come from outside Chicago, from places with lax gun laws, and
in fact the case of Chicago presents an argument for gun law reform, and
not against it. This gets to the heart of it:
?Chicago is not an island,? said David Spielfogel, senior adviser to
[Mayor Rahm] Emanuel. ?We?re only as strong as the weakest gun law in
surrounding states.?

On Tuesday, 12 March 2013 10:06:53 UTC-3, iBoaterer wrote:
* Debunking a silly ?gun rights? talking point: The ?gun rights? brigade

loves to point out that Chicago has strict gun laws but also a high

level of gun deaths, as if this undermines the case for federal action.

But as this New York Times article details, the reality is that many of

the guns come from outside Chicago, from places with lax gun laws, and

in fact the case of Chicago presents an argument for gun law reform, and

not against it. This gets to the heart of it:

?Chicago is not an island,? said David Spielfogel, senior adviser to

[Mayor Rahm] Emanuel. ?We?re only as strong as the weakest gun law in

surrounding states.?

Yup!
Canada is like a bigger Chicago, we have pretty restrictive gun laws but having gun crazy America right next door causes a lot of problems.
makes it much easier for the criminals to get firearms.

BTW speaking of Chicago, saw a news item last week stating that Toronto passed it in population and is now the fourth largest city in North America...trailing New York, Los Angeles and Mexico City.

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 06:15:53 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

[...]

Yup, those Chicago drug dealers, etc., drive all the way down here to buy guns at our Virginia gun
shows, where the unlicensed or licensed non-dealer, dealers will sell them hundreds of guns out
behind the woodshed. This is well documented with no documentation.

But, Rahm Emanuel and the New York Times are quite trustworthy and unbiased, so you can bet the bank
on the truthfulness of the story.

I'm surprised Kevin didn't blame it on Bush.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' answer to a lost argument!

On 3/12/2013 9:20 AM, J Herring wrote:
[...]

It's kind of silly blaming gun crimes on laws or lack thereof. How about
putting the blame for gun crimes squarely on the criminals?

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:50:09 -0400, Meyer wrote:

[...]

How silly can you be? Then the crimes would be neither Virginia's *nor* Bush's fault !

I'm still trying to figure out what my Chicago assumptions were.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' answer to a lost argument!