Default Another volley

....in the neverending GOP war on women...

Trying to distance himself from the "legitimate rape" comment that Rep.
Todd Akin (R-Mo.) made last week, Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom
Smith (R) stirred up further controversy by comparing a pregnancy caused
by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

Smith said Monday at the Pennsylvania Press Club that although he
condemns Akin's comment, he agrees with Akin that abortion should be
banned without any exceptions, including for rape and incest victims.
Pressed by a reporter on how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter
becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Smith said he had already "lived
something similar to that" in his family.

"She chose life, and I commend her for that," he said. "She knew my
views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to ... she chose the way I
thought. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape."

When a reporter asked Smith to clarify what kind of situation was
similar to becoming pregnant from rape, the candidate responded, "Having
a baby out of wedlock."

He added, "Put yourself in a father's position. Yes, it is similar."

Smith's comment comes at an inconvenient time for Republicans, who have
been scrambling to distract voters from the firestorm of controversy
over Akin's comment last week. Addressing the subject of an abortion
exception for rape victims, Akin said that victims of "legitimate rape"
rarely become pregnant because "the female body has ways to shut that
whole thing down."

Smith, who is challenging incumbent Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) in the
November election, told reporters that he does not agree with Akin's
remark at all. "He should have never said anything like that," Smith said.

--

What do the Republican Party of the United States and the Muslim
Brotherhood of the Arab World have in common? They're both faith-based

On 8/28/12 8:35 AM, thunder wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:49:19 -0400, BAR wrote:

I am a Republican and I was in favor off single women having sex up
until my first daughter was born.

LOL, I know a lot of fathers who feel the same way.

Our approach was more realistic. We made sure our kids knew exactly how
to prevent pregnancies and spread of STDs. Our kids came of age during
the Reagan Administration, an era in which old-fashioned "morality" was
flushed down the toilet by Ronnie and his crew.

--
I'm a liberal because the militant fundamentalist ignorant
science-denying religious xenophobic corporate oligarchy of modern