Default Three dead after yacht capsizes off Long Island, New York

Three dead after yacht capsizes off Long Island, New York

Three people were pulled out of New York's Long Island Sound overnight
after a yacht capsized on the Fourth of July, and 24 others were
rescued, police said.

Nassau County Deputy Inspector Kenneth Lack said the three bodies were
recovered from the water near Oyster Bay after a long overnight search.

The 24 survivors were pulled from the water around 11 p.m. ET Wednesday,
about an hour after the 34-foot Silverton boat capsized, the U.S. Coast
Guard said. Owners of private boats dragged people into their vessels
until crews from law enforcement agencies and fire departments arrived,
according to local reports.

Lack said some but not all passengers were wearing life jackets. He said
weather may have played a factor or a wake from another vessel may have
caused the boat to capsize.
Advertise | AdChoices

Newsday reported that the 27 people on board were watching the Fourth of
July fireworks.

A boater told Newsday he saw the yacht turn right and then tip over
after it was hit by a wake. "It was like in slow motion," said Sammy
Balasso of Oyster Bay. "All of a sudden, a lot of bodies were in the water."

His nephew, 15-year-old Frankie Barbone of Bayview, said the waves
almost came up over the yacht.

Balasso said he put the spotlight of his 38-foot speedboard on the
Silverton and then threw all the life jackets he had with him into the
water. He said he rescued 20 people who were later taken to the shore in
police boats.

Nassau County Deputy Inspector Kenneth Lack told Newsday that most of
the people rescued were taken to hospitals for observation but that one
person was in critical condition.

- - -

27 people on a 34-foot boat? Sheesh.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:04:22 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

[...]

We have been having a bad year for fatalities in Iowa. Two drunks
collided in the river in downtown Des Moines. They met head on and
didn't know enough to keep to the right. How much the booze
contributed is debatable. The people who cause most of the drunk
driving fatalities don't know how to drive when they are sober. The
paper brought up the fatality we had a few years back. A drunk rammed
a boat from behind at night. Killed a dentist with the prop. Plenty
about the drunk and the fact that after he got out of the can he got
busted for drunk driving. Not a word then or now about the failure of
the dead man to keep a lookout. Lots of whining by the widow about how
evil the drunk was, not one word of regret for her husband begging to
die.

Casady

wrote:

[...]

I don't see much in the way of safety enforcement on the waterways
around here. I used to keep a boat at a local marina the Maryland water
cops also used, but I rarely saw their slip empty. The one time I was
stopped, at least a decade ago, it was by a very nice looking female
water cop. A buddy on my boat at the time asked her out on a date, and
she accepted.

On 7/7/2012 9:19 AM, X ` Man wrote:

I don't see much in the way of safety enforcement on the waterways
around here. I used to keep a boat at a local marina the Maryland water
cops also used, but I rarely saw their slip empty. The one time I was
stopped, at least a decade ago, it was by a very nice looking female
water cop. A buddy on my boat at the time asked her out on a date, and
she accepted.

Come on Krause. You're a writer. You need to do better.

OH ****ing bull****..... you take the cake harry...

wrote:

[...]

My friends, unlike yours, are not degenerate jobless losers.

wrote:

[...]

Any "friends" you have are figments of your imagination. As to the
imaginary pig who uses her job for personal gain, hope she gets shot in
the face, if that's the way she acts on the job...

bob bob is offline

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 09:19:52 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

I don't see much in the way of safety enforcement on the waterways
around here. I used to keep a boat at a local marina the Maryland water
cops also used, but I rarely saw their slip empty. The one time I was
stopped, at least a decade ago, it was by a very nice looking female
water cop. A buddy on my boat at the time asked her out on a date, and
she accepted.

we're fortunate at long beach island, NJ. USCG has a strong presence
and they routinely board boats around here. of course, those of us in
the CG aux help a bit! yes, the sound is a hard area to patrol...

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Where in Iowa are you? I have to go to Des Moines for work and have
never been, so I'm looking for local food options.
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 09:41:24 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

Where in Iowa are you? I have to go to Des Moines for work and have
never been, so I'm looking for local food options.

spent part of a february in des moines. all the buildings are
connected by above ground tunnels, for good reason. it's like the
freakin' antarctic there