Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Storm surge or unusually high tide?

Yesterday we took the TolmAn from St Marks, FL downriver and out to the range marker about 2 miles from the lighthouse and then came back in and went up river past the Hwy 98 bridge and then on upriver about 4 miles to the nest bridge where we swam for three hours.
When we came back downriver to the Hwy 98 bridge, several cars parked there were in the water up to their frames and the water was up in trees that are bot normally in the water. Downriver at St. Marks, the water was over the banks and going into the parking lot. We have not has an abnormal amount of rainfall so it wasn't the river rising from rainfall.
Being NE of the storm with the wind blowing from the south, I think it was blowing water up into Apalachee Bay where it then gets funnelled up into the river at the head of the bay.
Just like Hurricane Dennis that did not hit here but caused serious storm surge damage, there has been no prediction of storm surge in the bay