Default Whew!

Sanctity of Marriage Preserved!

No charges to be filed in Utah 'Sister Wives' case

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – Criminal charges will not be pursued against a
polygamous family made famous by the reality TV show Sister Wives, a
Utah prosecutor wrote Thursday in federal court filings.

The case against Kody Brown and his four wives — Meri, Janelle,
Christine and Robyn — stars of the TLC show, has been closed, Utah
County Attorney Jeff Buhman wrote in a motion seeking to have a lawsuit
against his county dismissed.

Brown moved his wives and 16 children from Lehi, about 30 miles south of
Salt Lake City, to the Las Vegas area in January 2011 after Utah
authorities launched a bigamy investigation.

The Browns then sued Utah County along with Utah's governor and attorney
general, claiming the state's bigamy statute violates their
constitutional rights to due process, equal protection, free exercise of
religion, free speech and freedom of association.

A federal judge later dropped the state from the case but allowed it to
continue against the county.

U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups said he dismissed Gov. Gary Herbert
and Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff because Shurtleff had assured
the Browns they wouldn't be prosecuted under his policy that consenting
adult polygamists won't be charged as long as they're not committing
other crimes.

However, Waddoups noted that the Browns had reason to believe they could
still face prosecution in Utah County, and agreed it could have a
chilling effect on their ability to practice their constitutional rights
in the state.

Buhman wrote in his Thursday motion that his county, too, had adopted
the same state policy and would not pursue bigamy cases unless there was
evidence of a victim or fraud.

"The criminal case against the Browns is closed and no charges will be
filed against them for bigamy unless new evidence is discovered which
would comport with the office's new policy," Buhman wrote.

The Browns' attorney Jonathan Turley said he was pleased that charges
wouldn't be filed but noted the family didn't plan to drop the lawsuit,
claiming state law remained "blatantly unconstitutional."

"I want to express our great relief for the Brown family that this
long-standing threat has been finally lifted," Turley said in a
statement. "The family has spent years being publicly denounced as
felons by prosecutors and had to move to Nevada to protect their family
and children."

- - -

That smell in the air is...hypocrisy.

Default Whew! The smell of hypocrisy

On 6/1/2012 7:27 AM, X ` Man wrote:
[...]

It sure is. There is the case of the portly lady, who by her own
admission is a devout Protestant who attended a Catholic university and
gave the credit for the completion of her studies to her self described
agnostic/athiest, so called "husband". The only other evidence that can
be found to link these two lovebirds is a common residence. These two
lovebirds don't even share the same surname. Another oddity. We also
cannot discount the fact that aforementioned gentleman routinely accuses
others of traits and characteristics that he himself is known to possess.
Yes, the smell of hypocrisy is in the air.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 1, 6:27*am, X ` Man-

That smell in the air is...hypocrisy.

The smell in the air here is rain! finally we're supposed to get
about an inch to 2 in the next three days.

"Whew" is right!

On 6/1/12 8:24 AM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 1, 6:27 am, X ` Man-

That smell in the air is...hypocrisy.

The smell in the air here is rain! finally we're supposed to get
about an inch to 2 in the next three days.

"Whew" is right!

Well, that's a relief!

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 05:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Jun 1, 6:27*am, X ` Man-

That smell in the air is...hypocrisy.

The smell in the air here is rain! finally we're supposed to get
about an inch to 2 in the next three days.

"Whew" is right!

When you're done with 'em, give those clouds a kick in the ass and get 'em headed our way.

Thanks!

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 05:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 1, 6:27*am, X ` Man-

That smell in the air is...hypocrisy.

The smell in the air here is rain! finally we're supposed to get
about an inch to 2 in the next three days.

"Whew" is right!

===

Better get working on that boat before it rains for 40 days and 40
nights! :-)

X ` Man wrote:

Wouldn't this fall under the OT category?

Whew! Larry Cruising 0 March 26th 09 11:10 PM
Whew - that was a close one... Short Wave Sportfishing General 11 November 7th 07 04:32 AM
Whew...it stinks in here. HUGE WAD OF SPIT ASA 0 February 3rd 07 02:00 AM
whew! No more Pony ASA 8 October 26th 04 04:18 PM