Default Using a Mobile Phone Aboard Your Boat

For those interested in using a smart phone on a boat, especially an
iPhone, here's a great source of information from the
www.activecaptain.com web site. Jeff Siegal, author of the site, is
a very active boater himself and has done a lot of analysis. Jeff is
currently headed north for the summer on his trawler.

https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php

If you register (free) with ActiveCaptain you get access to a wealth
of online charting and local knowledge. I use it frequently when we
are out cruising to get information anchorages, marinas and fuel
prices.

bob bob is offline

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:41:09 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

For those interested in using a smart phone on a boat, especially an
iPhone, here's a great source of information from the
www.activecaptain.com web site. Jeff Siegal, author of the site, is
a very active boater himself and has done a lot of analysis. Jeff is
currently headed north for the summer on his trawler.

https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php

If you register (free) with ActiveCaptain you get access to a wealth
of online charting and local knowledge. I use it frequently when we
are out cruising to get information anchorages, marinas and fuel
prices.

just a reminder...always carry a VHF radio on board your boat. NEVER
rely soley on your cellphone. when we folks at USCG stations hear a
VHF distress call we can zero in on it with the rescue 21 hardware in
seconds...not possible with a phone.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
For those interested in using a smart phone on a boat, especially an
iPhone, here's a great source of information from the
www.activecaptain.comweb site. * Jeff Siegal, author of the site, is
a very active boater himself and has done a lot of analysis. *Jeff is
currently headed north for the summer on his trawler.

https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php

If you register (free) *with ActiveCaptain you get access *to a wealth
of online charting and local knowledge. *I use it frequently when we
are out cruising to get information anchorages, marinas and fuel
prices.

just a reminder...always carry a VHF radio on board your boat. NEVER
rely soley on your cellphone. when we folks at USCG stations hear a
VHF distress call we can zero in on it with the rescue 21 hardware in
seconds...not possible with a phone.

Good thought to keep, Bob. When I can finally hit my river cruise, I
plan to carry both. though I'm gonna be on the Ohio river I'd still
think that both could come in handy.

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 26, 8:41*pm, Wayne B wrote:
For those interested in using a smart phone on a boat, especially an
iPhone, here's a great source of information from thewww.activecaptain.comweb site. * Jeff Siegal, author of the site, is
a very active boater himself and has done a lot of analysis. *Jeff is
currently headed north for the summer on his trawler.

https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php

If you register (free) *with ActiveCaptain you get access *to a wealth
of online charting and local knowledge. *I use it frequently when we
are out cruising to get information anchorages, marinas and fuel
prices.

My flip-phone will be coming up for renewal in the near future. I may
consider an iPhone or a similar device. hmmm, I wonder if he has
charts for the Ohio? probably so because it's part of the ICW.
I'll check it out. Thanks Wayne!

Got one that floats? Or at least doesn't void its warranty if it gets a
little bit damp?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Porsche 928: 0 to c in 2.125 years, 2.435 light-years per mile^3 of gas

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:40:18 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Got one that floats? Or at least doesn't void its warranty if it gets a
little bit damp?

====

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/02/panasonic-introduces-waterproof-smartphones/1

I was in West Marine the other day and they also have a variety of
waterproof cases. A waterproof case might also make it floatable
depending on the volume of trapped air and weight of the phone.

On 4/30/2012 11:40 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Got one that floats? Or at least doesn't void its warranty if it gets a
little bit damp?

Well, the insurance on my Virgin Mobile phone covers me if I drop it in
water..