Default Comparison of Android Apps for Charting/Navigation

Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Charts-And-Navigation.htm?nl=1

In article ,
says...

Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Charts-And-Navigation.htm?nl=1

Bookmarked, thanks!

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:31:28 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Charts-And-Navigation.htm?nl=1

Have you used any of these?

Don't know if Tim has an android phone (or even what one is, for that matter), but the apps look
useful.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 26, 7:44*am, John H. wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:31:28 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Cha....

Have you used any of these?

Don't know if Tim has an android phone (or even what one is, for that matter), but the apps look
useful.

Wife's got a blackberry, and I have a typical flip phone, but the
contract is coming up for renewal soon, So.....

this is something to take way into consideration!

On 4/26/12 8:45 AM, Tim wrote:
On Apr 26, 7:44 am, John wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:31:28 -0400, wrote:
Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Cha...

Have you used any of these?

Don't know if Tim has an android phone (or even what one is, for that matter), but the apps look
useful.

Wife's got a blackberry, and I have a typical flip phone, but the
contract is coming up for renewal soon, So.....

this is something to take way into consideration!

Before you think a "smart phone" is the answer, go to a smartphone store
and take the unit(s) you are considering outside. You'll want to see
just how decent the screen is in direct or just strong outdoor light.
The screens on the smart phones I have seen fade away to illegibility
under many outdoor conditions.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:45:36 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:44*am, John H. wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:31:28 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Cha...

Have you used any of these?

Don't know if Tim has an android phone (or even what one is, for that matter), but the apps look
useful.

Wife's got a blackberry, and I have a typical flip phone, but the
contract is coming up for renewal soon, So.....

this is something to take way into consideration!

Here is a pretty good article on how some of the tablets and phones do in varying light situations.
Scroll about halfway down to this:

Lab Screen Photographs with Ambient Lighting for all Smartphones Side-by-Side

Then put the cursor over and click the photos on the right to see how the four smartphones compare.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/02/un...te-in-the-sun/

or: http://tinyurl.com/7v66kez

On 4/26/12 10:32 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:45:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:44 am, John wrote:
[...]

Better to look at the results under "outdoor" lighting. The phone
screens are pretty much washed out. Any decent smart phone or tablet
will good pretty good indoors.

Neither my iPhone 4s or my new Ipad are usable in sunlight conditions.
Neither was my older smartphone, which had a reputation as a phone with
a "great screen" for outdoors.

On Apr 26, 7:44 am, John wrote:
[...]

The only screen that I have seen which works well under bright sunlight
is the Amazon Kindle in black and white. The other side of the coin is
the kindle requires ambient or artificial light light to work.

On Apr 26, 9:58*am, X ` Man dump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-
can.com wrote:
On 4/26/12 8:45 AM, Tim wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:44 am, John *wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:31:28 -0400, *wrote:
Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Cha...

Have you used any of these?

Don't know if Tim has an android phone (or even what one is, for that matter), but the apps look
useful.

Wife's got a blackberry, and I have a typical flip phone, but the
contract is coming up for renewal soon, So.....

this is something to take way into consideration!

Before you think a "smart phone" is the answer, go to a smartphone store
and take the unit(s) you are considering outside. You'll want to see
just how decent the screen is in direct or just strong outdoor light.
The screens on the smart phones I have seen fade away to illegibility
under many outdoor conditions.

I like my Garmin Map60 GPS handheld. The charts can be expensive but I
only had to buy one for the Atlantic Coast of Nova Scotia that I boat
on. The screen is amazing in direct sunlight.... Some kind of
reflective treatment.

can.com wrote:
On 4/26/12 8:45 AM, Tim wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:44 am, John *wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah... Other advantage... They are about half the price now that I
paid a few years ago.... D'oh!

Christmas App For Android Stone General 0 December 13th 11 05:42 AM
Interesting material, any boating apps? Frogwatch[_2_] General 5 April 15th 10 12:09 PM
Boating iphone apps Frogwatch General 18 November 30th 09 07:55 PM
Electronic Charting Don Bouchard Cruising 23 September 24th 06 01:34 PM