Default Advances in battery life

Here's an interesting tidbit about the new Apple iPad:

The New iPad's Biggest Advancement Might Actually Be Under The Hood

BY A.T. Faust III on Thu March 08th, 2012 battery iPad battery iPad
battery life new ipad the new iPad
from AppAdvice

The New iPad’s Biggest Advancement Might Actually Be Under The Hood

Beyond processor specifications, Apple doesn’t usually have much to say
about the inner goings-on of its iDevice family, and the new iPad has
been no exception. From Apple’s announcement, we knew it would feature a
quad-core A5X SoC, but that’s about all. However, earlier-than-expected
“confirmations” indicate that the included RAM’s been doubled to an
entire gigabyte, and that the battery — previously a 9644 mAh (25Wh)
powerhouse — is now a gigantic 11,666 mAh (42Wh)!

On a practical level, it’s obvious Apple had to introduce a larger
battery to keep the new iPad on track for 10 hours per charge. After
all, that new Retina display sucks down more juice than Mr. Olympia, and
LTE — when enabled — is notoriously hard on energy stores. So, it should
be no surprise that Apple needed to up the battery ante.

What is surprising, however, is that Apple managed this drastic
improvement while barely increasing the overall size of the iPad itself.
And, since last year’s model was nearly all battery to begin with, this
means Apple has made quite the industrial breakthrough. Like ZDNET tells us,

*It suggests that Apple has managed to increase significantly the
power density of the Li-ion cells that it uses. In an industry that has
seemed stagnant for some time now, this is quite an achievement and goes
to show that Apple’s battery research labs and manufacturing plants have
been hard at work. There’s no doubt that we’re going to be seeing the
fruits of this labor in other Apple products soon.*

What’s more, these advancements are likely proprietary, protected
properties, meaning the Cupertino company has yet another strategic
advantage over its computing competition. It’s been a long time coming,
but battery life — at least for Apple products — may finally give up its
crown as mobile technology’s single largest limiting factor.

- - -

I like this...advances in batteries...

On 3/9/12 8:22 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:59:15 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:

[...]

I really believe that the US is at the threshold of huge advances, but
to step through, we're going to have to solve the problems of
electrical storage: from phones to cars.

This sounds like good news.

Medical advances and energy advances are the future. Just the other day
I read an article explaining how a stem cell research experiment through
which kidney transplant patients might be able to avoid taking
anti-rejection meds the rest of their lives.

We do need to push the Troglodytes and the naysayers out of the way.

On 3/9/2012 7:59 AM, X ` Man wrote:
[...]

It's likely that China owns the battery technology.

--
O M G

In article , dump-on-
says...

[...]

They are using bigger cells.

On 3/9/2012 5:37 PM, BAR wrote:
In , dump-on-
says...

[...]

Wow, I wonder how many million dollars it took some group of engineers
to figure that out ???

On 3/9/12 6:51 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 3/9/2012 5:37 PM, BAR wrote:
In , dump-on-
says...

[...]

There's a bit more to it than you morons can conjure, eh?

On 3/9/2012 4:59 AM, X ` Man wrote:
the battery — previously a 9644 mAh (25Wh)
powerhouse — is now a gigantic 11,666 mAh (42Wh)!

Unless the voltage increased it should be 30.2 Wh. (?)

On 3/9/12 10:11 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:32:55 -0500, X `

There's a bit more to it than you morons can conjure, eh?

I am still a desktop guy but my wife is a road warrior with a mobile
something or two all the time. The thing that is significant about
Apple is the price never drops and they advance in baby steps.
Even my German friend (remember the conversation that ended in me
being a hobbyist) has started to think that the rigid architecture
around Apple is confining. He is the one who didn't want to know he
had a computer.

I used to be concerned about having a "bleeding edge" desktop machine,
but after I bought my first Apple computer, those concerns faded. My
current Apple desktop has an Intel i7 CPU and seems more than fast
enough for what I do with it, which is writing for $$$, emails, web
surfing, et cetera. I could sell it for a good price right now and buy
the latest Apple desktop, and it would be faster, I suppose, but so
what? My laptop is now four years old. It's certainly more than adequate
for the use to which I put it, although I am thinking of selling it -
it'll still fetch around $750 - and getting the new iPad.

I don't feel "confined" by Apple's architecture. I "jailbroke" my iPhone
4s about a month ago so I could use some non-App store apps I like. The
phone performs well for me most of the time, though I wish the phone
vendors would spend more time improving the "phone" aspect of their cell
phones and less time on dumb**** like built in cameras.

In article ,
says...

On 3/9/12 6:51 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 3/9/2012 5:37 PM, BAR wrote:
In , dump-on-
says...

[...]

What is the "bit more to it" Harry?

On 3/10/12 8:47 AM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

On 3/9/12 6:51 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 3/9/2012 5:37 PM, BAR wrote:
In , dump-on-
says...

[...]

I'm sure all will be revealed to those who read the articles and look at
the videos after the first few teardowns of the new iPad. I've read
about a dozen articles so far in which there have been various
"speculations" about what Apple has done in the battery. I know
advances in batteries and battery life annoy you and your fellow
troglodytes, because the technologies might help hasten the end of
dinosaur fueled cars.

I'm tempted by the new iPad, enough so that I am considering selling my
MacBook Pro and getting one. The claimed 10-hour battery life for the
new model, despite its higher definition screen, is very attractive. And
free wi-fi is pretty much available everywhere we go, so I see no need
to spend anything extra to buy the "4G" model or pay the monthly charges
for "4G" service. Besides, I'm sure the iPad can be "tethered" to a
cellphone with network service.

SPOT battery life Roger Long Cruising 29 November 9th 08 06:10 PM
Battery Life question Messing In Boats Electronics 4 February 20th 04 02:49 AM
Battery Life question Messing In Boats General 9 February 18th 04 04:09 AM
Battery Life question Messing In Boats Cruising 22 February 18th 04 04:09 AM
Question about battery life MC Electronics 5 July 23rd 03 03:29 PM